Just a glimpse of me...

My photo
Do you ever feel STUCK? In 2000, I began looking for answers to some tough questions in my life. I'd searched high & low and finally conceded to search the promises found in the Bible. Those promises have sustained & guided me through the loss of a parent, the struggle with anxiety & depression, the loss of a valued relationship and so much more! I've found joy amid the pain. And, I want to share it with you!

07 August 2012

August 2012 ONE THOUSAND GIFTS #JoyDare


AUGUST 2012
One Thousand Gifts (by Ann Voskamp)
#1000Gifts #JoyDare


Buy book here...      

I've taken the 1,000 Gifts Dare for 2012... here we go for... 

AUGUST 2012
Today I find JOY in...

Wed 8/1
3 gifts white: the flower on my door sign; the wicker rocker handed down to me; the light at the end of this next tunnel

622. waiting for my walking partner & actually seeing a BIRD land
on this sign on my front door

623. an open floor for a... few moments

624. life-changing moment & claiming God's goodness in all

Thurs 8/2
3 gifts eaten: peach from the tree; pear tomatoes; cucumbers
625. Claiming... "For those who can see, the world’s beauty outweighs its burdens,
its grace greater than its grime." ~ Ann Voskamp
626. celebrating a new baby to Carly & Derrick

627. picking peaches & veggies w/the LOML next door

Fri 8/3
3 gifts: 10am 1pm 10pm - below... 
628. 10am Safety of my BFFHeiter - near miss in auto accident!!
629. 1pm Garrett showing Duchess at Indiana State Fair

630. 10pm thinking about getting out of "Dodge" tomorrow w/the LOML

Sat 8/4
3 gifts sitting: in a car for 5 hours; in the wedding of Amanda & Nick; at the table with friends at the reception
631. SiriusXM The Message all the way to Galesburg, IL :D
632. celebrating the lives, friendship & love of Amanda & Nick

633. date night after wedding reception
with the LOML... & best friend aka Bear 

Sun 8/5
3 gifts inside, outside, inside, upside down: below
634. leisurely start to the morning - inside
635. stops along the way... Sleepy Creek & The Beef House - outside

636. The chains that seem to bind you, serve only to remind you
that they drop POWERLESS behind you
when you PRAISE HIM! 

upside down

Mon 8/6
3 gifts in water: thirst quenched by everlasting water; my witness through baptism; life nourished by water
637. 'Missy' is the Indiana State Fair Champion Red Poll Heifer!!!

638. boys who treat hamburger gravy & rice like it's a gourmet meal :)
639. Seriously... I just pulled all the pieces of paper together & the pics together to complete & publish my July #JoyDare list
and a blog called Eat More Veggies...
Tues 8/7
3 gifts in His Word: abundant life (John 10:10b); hope as an anchor of my soul (Hebrews 6:19); peace like a river (Isaiah 48:18)
640. horribly groggy start to the day that allowed me to just WRITE :)
641. not feeling badly about taking an afternoon nap on a day when the night before held only 4+ hours of sleep
642. just one of my jobs

Wed 8/8
3 gifts in summer: babysitting neighbor's garden while she's gone; our little garden; bountiful fresh veggies & fruit!!!
643. a long drive to Cincinnati with only my thoughts & classical music
644. package of goodies i put together for my brother-in-law

645. acting like a kid with my sisters (we are a LONG WAY from being young)

Thurs 8/9
3 gifts hole, whole, half: missing the LOML through the night; 3 sisters reunited; small portion of Graeter's ice cream
646. waking up at 3am - but having my sister there to giggle with
647. showing CCM off to "Aunt Carol"

648. an empty Graeter's cup - 'cause I gobbled it down!

Fri, 8/10
3 gifts hard eucharisteo: could seriously name 100 lately!
When Your Story is Not Your Own
When Dreams Die
Where Can They Go?
649. temps in the low 60's for a morning walk
and dew on a spider's web :)
650. a counter FULL of tomatoes & more on the vine!
651. Friday family dinner - all 4 of us :)

Sat 8/11
3 gifts of metal: rusted patio furniture; mis-matched patio lights; silverware placement
652. putting a care package together for a sick friend
653. a total God thing regarding Dove Harbor
654. my husband's table setting skills...

my husband's grilling skills...

Sun 8/12
3 gifts half hidden: the rest of the story; the bottom of the pool; the bottom half of my garden plants
655. sleepless night - 100's of hymns memorized from childhood as a preacher's daughter :)
656. assisting the pool boy (aka the LOML)

657. left overs made into a great salad!

Mon 8/13
3 gifts in green: grass still wet from the night's rain; new growth on vines outside my window; sea glass & lobster floats on deck
658. getting rained in from morning devotions outside
659. new growth on the clematis & a GREEN lawn!

660. nightfall w/the LOML & beautiful colors

Tues 8/14
3 gifts in a ring, curve, sphere: Heiter's ringtone; the stream through the corn field; old blown glass lobster trap floats
661. fresh tomatoes on an egg sandwich
662. old blown glass left handed pitcher
663. memories of the cabin on Yellow Creek Lake

Wed 8/15
3 gifts ugly beautiful: 1. Being Stuck  2. facing a mountain in my life  3. my "gravel" driveway - grrrrrrr!
664. hearing the heart cry of a dear friend
665. devotions outside on a cool morning
(Seriously-is the SAME LOUD CRICKET who sang to me last night singing this a.m. as I finish my devotions out on the deck? Sing to the Lord...)

666. friends with whom I can share my soul

Thurs 8/16
3 gifts of family: 1. friends who FEEL like family  2. gifts for WoF weekend  3. Zumba girlfriends 
667. a WONDERFUL answer to prayer!
So blessed to be able to encourage a few friends who are battling LIFE these days!

668. crazy clouds

669. being sneaky & being able to honor a few Godly women!

Fri 8/17
3 gifts in the morning: 1. Walking w/Ruthanne at 8am. 2. Coffee with Shari at 10am. 3. Chris over for lunch on the deck at noon :) 
670. Walking w/Ruthanne at 8am
671. Coffee with Shari at 10am
672. Chris over for lunch on the deck at noon :)


Sat 8/18

3 gifts: red, read, written: 1. accent colors in my house  2. morning devotions  3. Life is for Sharing
673. BLT's - with garden tomatoes!

674. believing in child labor

675. touched by a friends shared picture - life is for sharing

Sun 8/19
3 gifts in church: 1. son's last Sunday w/us before college  2. niece from FL with us  3. sermon by @RevRoll 
676. reminder that God redeems us & uses us - no matter our past
677. lunch on the deck to celebrate Heather & Tyler

678. too many candles on the cake

Mon 8/20
3 gifts of serving: 1. Women's Ministries  2. Worship Arts  3. making meals
679. memories of when my 2 were starting elementary school after summer
"Mothers hold their children's hands for just a little while, and their hearts forever." ~ Irish proverb
680. walking twice - enjoying a treat





681. pizza party in front of the TV w/my boys
(last night before Tyler heads back to UC-CCM)

Tues 8/21
3 gifts: straight, turn, curve  1. One Way - to heaven  2. mistakes I've learned from  3. 8th street road & deer
682. Tyler's full head of hair - just like his daddy's

683. crammed in a Dodge Dakota w/my 2 favorite guys for 3 hours

684. setting Tyler up in his apartment & meeting his friends

Wed 8/22
3 gifts in light:  1. devotion light up my thought process  2. sun shining thru trellis  3. feet propped up as I gaze at the stars
685. great devotional reminder:
"If you can't change the circumstances, change your attitude—that will make all the difference in the world." ~ Jim Burns  www.HomeWord.com
Philippians 4:11-13
686. iPod on shuffle:
Song1 "Lord Have Mercy" @cbh4hope quartet. Song2 "Steamroller" @JamesTaylor_com Song3 Oboe Concerto 3 in G Minor @GFHandel
687. legs sore & throbbing from a day on them helping a friend!

Thurs 8/23
3 gifts old:  1. my memory (see #688)  2. friendships that last for years  3. a restaurant in a bldg over 100 year old
688. locking myself out of the house after walking
(gave me an opportunity to spend more time w/neighbor friend, Ruthanne)
Our walking partner - Koko
689. packing beside a sweet friend

690. Bonge's w/friends

Fri 8/24
3 gifts moving:  1. my friends from one house to another  2. the Holy Spirit constantly moving!  3. the traffic (NOT) on the way to WoF - but fun w/my friend as we sat in the traffic jam
691. frenzied morning getting ready for WoF & knowing that I would be blessed immensely

692. my hubby bringing me supper & walking me to the arena for WoF
693. fun girl time in Indy for WoF - Women of Faith


Sat 8/25
3 gifts fragile:  1. emotions - but not our resilience  2. relationships - but not when God is the center  3. the shells out on my patio & deck - beautiful, but fragile
694. fun picture taken at WOFcelebrate w/MPC WomMin tweet
695. crying tears of thanksgiving - knowing that God bring beauty from the ruble
696. grilled dolphin dinner after a busy weekend

Sun 8/26
3 gifts cut, sewn, buttoned - 1. salad bar stuff YUMMY  2. my mended BearBear (20+ year old present from the LOML)  3. my hubby's button up shirt at the meeting
697. lots of SALAD at Ruby Tuesday's :)
698. power nap that left pillow marks on my face
699. business mtg w/cute hubby (the LOML) on the platform

Mon 8/27
700. rain... but NO lightning on morning walk
701. DIFFERENT type of shopping
702. friends who open their hearts wide to others

Tues 8/28 Tyler's 20th Birthday :D
3 gifts long awaited: 1. once again regular times w/a long lost friend  2. joy over something which broke my heart  3. status change - embracing what I've been given


Star Wars presents equaled a huge smile!
703. God's perfect timing in a 5 minute devotional
704. my one & only son

705. dinner w/the LOML - talking about our son on his birthday :)

Wed 8/29
3 gifts - one, two, three:  1. the way i feel w/the LOML  2. the children we love  3. the trinity - how perplexing, how divine!!
706. His Grace is Greater than all my fears & all my tears!
707. the tango - always makes me smile
708. Date night

Thurs 8/30
3 gifts small: 1. a dollar store gift that brings a BIG smile  2. a flask of anointing oil  3. a smile can convey a thousand good feelings
709. Anointing & praying for a sweet young lady seeking God's hand upon her year with @MissionYear


710. giving a "happy" to my daughter

711. great quotes
"Acceptance says: True, this is my situation at the moment. I'll look unblinkingly at the reality of it. But, I'll also open my hands to accept willingly whatever a loving Father sends me." ~ Catherine Marshall



Fri 8/31
3 miracles - 1. perfect timing that just can't be humanly explained  2. my hubby & daughter traveling together 3. new life in Him
712. Absolutely awesome post by Ann Voskamp - so perfectly suited to my hubby & our marriage

713. new friendships in the making

714. road trips & renewed relationships

shared with the Ann Voskamp One Thousand Gifts community
AND THUS CONCLUDES AUGUST 2012 #1000Gifts #JoyDare 

I've taken the 1,000 Gifts Dare for 2012... click on the name of each month below for each one...
January 2012... I find joy
February 2012... I find joy
March 2012... I find joy
April 2012... I find joy
May 2012... I find joy
June 2012... I find joy
July 2012... I find joy

No comments:

Post a Comment