Just a glimpse of me...

My photo
Do you ever feel STUCK? In 2000, I began looking for answers to some tough questions in my life. I'd searched high & low and finally conceded to search the promises found in the Bible. Those promises have sustained & guided me through the loss of a parent, the struggle with anxiety & depression, the loss of a valued relationship and so much more! I've found joy amid the pain. And, I want to share it with you!

10 March 2014

Sometimes I Hear Voices

The other day I was on the other side of town - where we lived for 15 years. I ran into a familiar store to pick up a few items. I was armed with my list. I only needed six items. Almost two hours later, I walked out of the store. 

I don't know what it is about shopping... but, it makes me even more crazy than normal. Shopping almost always makes me anxious. It doesn't relax me at all. It doesn't make me happy. It makes be feel out of control and helpless and very crazy!

As I was pushing my cart through the same clothing section for a third or fourth time, I noticed that I was talking to myself -- NOT audibly. I'm not yet THAT crazy! I was telling myself things like:
  • You'd better check those racks again. You probably missed what you needed the first few times around.
  • Are you forgetting to look for something? Take a moment. Think it through. Don't miss something. You know how you hate to shop. You don't want to have to return anytime soon!
  • What about this coming fall? What will she need for this fall? Oh my goodness... what do we have at home for the fall??
  • How much money is all this stuff going to cost me? Should I put a few things back??
  • Didn't I just come in for a few items? Why am I here still?
  • You know, it wouldn't hurt for you to look for something for yourself!
  • Wow, the LOML is gonna kill me!
  • Why am I here so long? I have things I need to do at home. Please... get... me... out... of... here!!!
As the questions came, I chuckled to myself and thought, "Yep, when I go shopping, I hear voices!"

I"m sure Paul wasn't talking about ME SHOPPING IN YEARS TO COME when he wrote these words...
"Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God." Philippians 4:6 NIV
However, I'm thinking that God knew that for me... prayer & shopping would go hand-in-hand! I am NOT a fan of shopping! 

Well... except when I'm with this girl...
Best shopping partner... EVER!!

Have your curiosity??  Check out these posts:
Linking with Ann Voskamp - A Holy Experience today... 

No comments:

Post a Comment