Just a glimpse of me...

My photo
Do you ever feel STUCK? In 2000, I began looking for answers to some tough questions in my life. I'd searched high & low and finally conceded to search the promises found in the Bible. Those promises have sustained & guided me through the loss of a parent, the struggle with anxiety & depression, the loss of a valued relationship and so much more! I've found joy amid the pain. And, I want to share it with you!

19 October 2012

Crazy Old! - 31 DAYS OF CRAZY - 19 October 2012

Crazy Old! It's my birthday month! And, that thought seems to occur to me more & more as the years go by. 
Me a few Halloweens ago...
handing out candy to the babies
at our church day care

My great-aunt used to say:
"A true lady never speaks of her age."  
 A sweet lady in my small group says:
"Age is just a number."
A former employer spoke these words to me:
"The fact that you do not talk about your age is a character flaw & indicates that you are not an honest person."  
(thankfully, I didn't have to work for HIM for long!)

Yep, I'm RELATED to that first woman.  Age might only be a number...but, the number lately is frightening!  And, I don't really FEEL as old as the number or FEEL as wise as that number would suggest.  And, I definitely don't seem to be maturing at the same rate that I'm adding years to my age. 

But, is that always a problem?  Aren't there aspects of the young which we all adore... 
... the wonder with which they watch a caterpillar crawling on a leaf. 
... their belly laughs when watching a cartoon or hearing a silly joke. 
... the way they see the best qualities in those around them. 
... how they easily forgive the impatience of... us. 
... the simple gifts they give with happiness & pride. 
... their unashamed tears in times of hurting or loss. 
... how they sing at the top of their lungs - no matter who could possibly hear them.
I want to be a responsible, mature adult.  But, I want to be like a child!.  Why not blend what we admire in children with the lessons we've learned throughout our lives.  Has anything in life really taught us that it's best to put our emotions in a box or that the simplest of things can't bring the fullness of joy to each day?     

So, in summary, if I had to say the "number" I would probably cringe.  But, if I live a life where my actions & attitude are the reflection of my "age" - perhaps I will come out ahead.  Laugh with abandon today.  See the simple joys as BIG JOYS.  Don't stress over material gifts but, give your time, your ear, your heart. Share your emotions with a trusted friend. (Find one if you don't already have one!)  And, sing loudly with your voice and with your life!
My 2 sisters & me... a few Halloweens ago.
Which one is me.... hmmmm?
I don't want to BE old :)


His Words
(got this idea from Chase Tibbs' blog; because i love the words of God)
  • "I tell you the truth, anyone who doesn't receive the Kingdom of God like a child will never enter it." Mark 10:15 NLT
  • "But Jesus said, "Let the children come to me. Don't stop them! For the Kingdom of Heaven belongs to those who are like these children." Matthew 19:14 NLT
  • "Don't let anyone think less of you because you are young. Be an example to all believers in what you say, in the way you live, in your love, your faith, and your purity." 1 Timothy 4:12 NLT


Go check out over 1200 topics
in the 31 days {of change} with...

  

No comments:

Post a Comment