Just a glimpse of me...

My photo
Do you ever feel STUCK? In 2000, I began looking for answers to some tough questions in my life. I'd searched high & low and finally conceded to search the promises found in the Bible. Those promises have sustained & guided me through the loss of a parent, the struggle with anxiety & depression, the loss of a valued relationship and so much more! I've found joy amid the pain. And, I want to share it with you!

22 December 2014

Day Six Being Mute

You've heard that said, right?
DAY SIX & I can't wait until my days aren't filled with these statements... 
  1. "I don't know. Ask the MUTE one." FOLLOWED BY EVERYONE'S LAUGHTER - EXCEPT MY OWN!
  2. "Wait! It looks like Mom is going to make an announcement." (whenever I pull my phone out to text something) FOLLOWED BY EVERYONE'S LAUGHTER - EXCEPT MY OWN!
  3. "That deaf, dumb, blind girl... sure plays a mean pinball." FOLLOWED BY EVERYONE'S LAUGHTER - EXCEPT MY OWN!
  4. "Speak up!!" FOLLOWED BY EVERYONE'S LAUGHTER - EXCEPT MY OWN!
This is the sixth morning
I've woken up with no voice. And, by no voice, I am saying... NO VOLUME AT ALL to words, coughs, sneezes, etc. According to the doctor, whom I saw on Day Two, I have a viral infection that concentrates on the vocal chords -- preventing them from closing at all. THEREFORE, NO SOUND. He has seen it several times this season. And, as you may know, viral infection means that antibiotics do not work & are not prescribed. So... this has been an interesting week.

What can a person learn from having no voice?
  • We take TALKING for granted! Those of us who can speak don't realize what a blessing it is!
  • Someone should make a text to talk app that works almost immediately. (Although a friend did suggest an app which converts text into voice. I have chosen a very proper British accent which the LOML loves!)
  • Children whisper when whispered to. And, they seem to listen better when you whisper to them. (We have a toddler living with us now & she has taken to whispering to me lately. The other day she told me that her voice was broken too - like DeeDee's.)
  • We probably use a lot more words than we need to in order to communicate. It's amazing how concise you can make a question or statement when you have to :D
One of my friends replied to my Facebook status with "Psalm 62:1 seems an appropriate rebuttal." And, what does Psalm 62:1 say?
"I wait quietly before God, for my victory comes from him."
It looks like another day of being quiet :)

No comments:

Post a Comment