Just a glimpse of me...

My photo
Do you ever feel STUCK? In 2000, I began looking for answers to some tough questions in my life. I'd searched high & low and finally conceded to search the promises found in the Bible. Those promises have sustained & guided me through the loss of a parent, the struggle with anxiety & depression, the loss of a valued relationship and so much more! I've found joy amid the pain. And, I want to share it with you!

09 November 2012

The Rolling Sea

above from the
Warner Sallman Collection

Over the sea, 
Over the sea, 
Jesus Savior, Pilot me. 

Over the sea, 
Over the sea, 
Over the jasper* sea.

Over & over comes the mighty sea,
Like the love of Jesus pouring over me.



Has anyone EVERY heard that chorus?  That was one of the choruses my father loved & sang with me at bedtime when I was little. Dad was born in the late 20's & brought up by a God-fearing (aka GOD LOVING) family.  They were very active in their church in Middletown, Ohio. He went on to being an accredited minister in the Church of God.  Back in that day, the churches were rather small & pastors often wore many hats.  Most of the years growing up, I remember my parents heading up the Youth Group, as well. I remember them leading the youth in that chorus.

The song came to my mind the other night as I was pondering the future.  (I confess, it's really NOT my job to ponder the future - but, to hand it over to God & get some sleep!) However, much of my time lately has been spent on thoughts & actions based upon changes which are happening in my world & in the worlds of those I love. 

When life is changing so rapidly & we are reminded that we are NOT in control (as we often desire to be), we can find peace & stability in God

  • He is the anchor of our soul - Hebrews 6:19  
  • He is the tower we run to in times of need - Isaiah 25:4 & Proverbs 18:10   
  • When life crashes us down like the rolling sea, He exchanges it with rolling waves of His love & peace - Isaiah 48:18  
  • He is the constant source of rest, renewal & strength. He is our cornerstone - upon whom we lean... upon whom we build our tomorrows - 1 Peter 2:6 
  • He is stronger than any storm - Mark 4:39-41 

No matter how life rages around me, I find peace in the arms of my Savior. His grace is sufficient! He meets all my needs!


Seek Him today for whatever you need. He is able to meet your needs!

His Words:

  • "This hope is a strong and trustworthy anchor for our souls. It leads us through the curtain into God's inner sanctuary."  Hebrews 6:19 
  • "But you are a tower of refuge to the poor, O LORD, a tower of refuge to the needy in distress. You are a refuge from the storm and a shelter from the heat. For the oppressive acts of ruthless people are like a storm beating against a wall." Isaiah 25:4
  • The name of the LORD is a strong tower; The righteous run to it and are safe. Proverbs 18:10 
  • "As the Scriptures say, 'I am placing a cornerstone in Jerusalem, chosen for great honor, and anyone who trusts in him will never be disgraced.'" 1 Peter 2:6 
  • "Oh, that you had listened to my commands! Then you would have had peace flowing like a gentle river and righteousness rolling over you like waves in the sea." Isaiah 48:18
  • "When Jesus woke up, he rebuked the wind and said to the waves, 'Silence! Be still!' Suddenly the wind stopped, and there was a great calm. Then he asked them, 'Why are you afraid? Do you still have no faith?' The disciples were absolutely terrified. 'Who is this man?' they asked each other. 'Even the wind and waves obey him!'" Mark 4:39-41 


* NOTE:  I found that the word "boundless" was used in one version & the word "stormy" was used in another. My dad sang JASPER though - which happened to be his older brother's name. Jasper means green... so, it works just fine for me :)


Shared with the Ann Voskamp 1000 Gifts Community

No comments:

Post a Comment