Just a glimpse of me...

My photo
Do you ever feel STUCK? In 2000, I began looking for answers to some tough questions in my life. I'd searched high & low and finally conceded to search the promises found in the Bible. Those promises have sustained & guided me through the loss of a parent, the struggle with anxiety & depression, the loss of a valued relationship and so much more! I've found joy amid the pain. And, I want to share it with you!

21 September 2012

And what of the children who KNOW no love?

As a mom, I've placed a lot of hope (and weight) in MY efforts to love my children & bring them up in the knowledge of the Lord. I've reasoned with myself that I did all I could do, as they've made choices outside of my will.  And, I've taken more comfort from that than I probably should have!  But, as I thought about my effort, this occurred to me"
" ...what of the children who KNOW no love?"  
Photo by Joakim Eskildsen for TIME Magazine 
Do they stand less of a chance for a full life? Did my human efforts give my children a better chance than children who are not loved?  What HAPPENS to the children who know no love... the orphans, the child slaves, the abused children, the neglected children, the abandoned children... ?


(photo credit)
I guess I'm slow with the things of the Lord.  And, I was a bit surprised with the idea that MY efforts weren't necessarily what paved the way for my children to live full lives.  I've loved a scripture from my childhood days (perhaps because it mentioned HORSES)...
"Some trust in horses, some trust in chariots. We trust in the name of the mighty Lord." Psalm 20:7   
But... do I really?

As I take a closer look at my past, I recognize that I've trusted more in my efforts & mainly depended on God to have my back.  I robbed myself of joy as I suffered unnecessarily. I put God in a box... for "back-up love" in the times when I couldn't make it on my own.

It's been said, "When all you have is God, you find that God is all you need."  So, those who only have GOD on their side... they have all they need.  God's always present -- with or without recognition or understanding of who He is. God walks beside every person, patiently waiting for their hearts & eyes to be opened to him.  And, God protects while they are coming to a closer understanding & knowledge of Him.

I believe God expects each of us to give our best effort at everything we do.  But, I also believe that it's not a guarantee for a perfect outcome.  I believe God's love covers all equally.  He's the giver of all good gifts.  So, if we are doing our part, we are just helping extend one of His gifts.

(A follow up to Where Can They Go)



Shared with the Ann Voskamp 1000 Gifts Community on 10/03/12

No comments:

Post a Comment