Just a glimpse of me...

My photo
Do you ever feel STUCK? In 2000, I began looking for answers to some tough questions in my life. I'd searched high & low and finally conceded to search the promises found in the Bible. Those promises have sustained & guided me through the loss of a parent, the struggle with anxiety & depression, the loss of a valued relationship and so much more! I've found joy amid the pain. And, I want to share it with you!

08 October 2016

Suffering and Overcoming It - #write31days 10-08-16

How do we make sense of the suffering that surrounds us in this world? Why do bad things happen to good people? Why do certain people have to face tragedy over & over & over again? When we look at this world we live in, it can be easy to feel overwhelmed with the tragedies and suffering we see. There seem to be so many unanswered questions in life!

A few years ago, I came across the following quote from Helen Keller:



"Although the world is full of suffering,

it is also full of the overcoming of it."
~ Helen Keller #quote

When I read Helen Keller’s words, I was especially moved since it was written by someone who was sight-impaired. She was unable to see so many things that many of us often take for granted. I’d say that I’m a very visual person. I love seeing:
  • beautiful works of art
  • the colors of the sky
  • children laughing and playing
  • the changing colors of winter wheat from its immersion from the ground in the early spring to its harvest in mid-summer
  • dark storm clouds on the horizon
  • the smile of loved ones
  • double rainbows
  • the tears in a person’s eyes when they are deeply moved by emotion
As valuable as sight is to me, I can’t imagine not being bitter about missing out on it. I don’t know that I’d have a great attitude about suffering. I’d likely lose sight of the overcoming of suffering in the face of suffering itself.

There will always be suffering, hardships, evil, and tragedies in our world. If we focus too intently upon them, we are sure to miss the human triumph of overcoming those things.

May we keep our eyes open to the good that can come out of what life throw at us and those around us.


5 Minute Free-For-All 10-8-16 Suffering and Overcoming It #write31days

No comments:

Post a Comment