Just a glimpse of me...

My photo
Do you ever feel STUCK? In 2000, I began looking for answers to some tough questions in my life. I'd searched high & low and finally conceded to search the promises found in the Bible. Those promises have sustained & guided me through the loss of a parent, the struggle with anxiety & depression, the loss of a valued relationship and so much more! I've found joy amid the pain. And, I want to share it with you!

05 October 2016

Opportunities to Help Surround Us - #write31days 10-05-16

We have an opportunity to touch the lives of others with almost every word we speak, every action we take or reaction we give. We touch the lives of others even when we aren’t aware. A smile, a thank you, a grumble, an act of impatience… so many opportunities to touch others – in a positive way or a negative way. However, we often wait for the “great opportunities” to help others & let the little ones pass right by.

The other night was formal night & the six of us were walking around quickly to get some family photos taken before dinner started. As our dinner time got closer, we were walking briskly to get a few more pictures taken together. As we rushed along, I notice a young father asking those passing if they knew how to tie a man’s time. This father had purchased his young son and teen son new dress shirts (the creases were still very obvious) and brand new ties to put on to impress “Mother” at dinner that evening. The father was dressed in a crisp new shirt, as well, and holding his tie in his hand.


Without a second thought, my hubby (aka the LOML) and his brother stopped and took the ties to prepare them for this father & his boys. They helped the three put the ties on & adjust their shirt collars. The look on the father’s face was priceless as we wished them well & went on our way.

It all happened so fast that I really didn’t think much of it until later, as I looked through some pictures I'd taken of what our men were doing for this young father and his boys. I'm so grateful that none us had looked away & hurried by. I pray that we will not pass by any other opportunities to help others... even in the small ways!

What a wonderful reminder for any day:
"Great opportunities to help others seldom come,
but small ones surround us every day."
~ Sally Koch #quote

For my fellow "believers," a few scriptures come to mind:

  • "Do not withhold good from those who deserve it when it’s in your power to help them." Proverbs 3:27
  • "I tell you… Help and give without expecting a return. You'll never - I promise you - regret it. Live out this God-created identity the way our Father lives towards us, generously and graciously, even when we're at our worst." Luke 6:35-36 (The Message)


5 Minute Free-For-All 10-5-16  Opportunities to Help Surround Us 10-5-16

No comments:

Post a Comment