Just a glimpse of me...

My photo
Do you ever feel STUCK? In 2000, I began looking for answers to some tough questions in my life. I'd searched high & low and finally conceded to search the promises found in the Bible. Those promises have sustained & guided me through the loss of a parent, the struggle with anxiety & depression, the loss of a valued relationship and so much more! I've found joy amid the pain. And, I want to share it with you!

16 October 2016

I Like Comfort Zones #write31days 10-16-16

I have to admit... I like my comfort zones. It's easy for me to settle into a normal pattern or routine and feel safe and in control. But, often in those familiar settings, I stop stretching, learning and growing. I focus so much on what is directly in front of me that I don't glance ahead to see if there are new experiences or opportunities to grab.

We have been living in, what I feel is, an uncomfortable zone in the past 6+ months.
The LOML has taken on a new position in a totally new field - higher education. He's still doing the finance thing. But, it's definitely a different environment than what we've experienced in the past. We're in the process of leaving a home & community which we've loved for the past 27 years and getting familiar with a new place and new culture.

Prior to beginning the new position, we decided to visit our son & daughter-in-law in Boulder, Colorado for 5 days. They were eager to share some hiking experiences with us. I've always loved hiking & was looking forward to it -- although I realized that the altitude might make a bit of a difference in my stamina.

A few days before we arrived our "Colorado kids" celebrated their first wedding anniversary & decided to hike to a place called Royal Arch. We arrived in Colorado on our wedding anniversary. All four of us thought it would be really cool to hike up to Royal Arch to celebrate our anniversary that way too. The hike started out pretty smoothly but, I could definitely feel the effects of the altitude. As we progressed, the trail got more & more difficult and I got more & more out of breath. I was seriously considering letting the others go on without me. But, my daughter-in-law encouraged me to press on. She assured me that I would not regret it.

When we finally arrived at Royal Arch, I was worn out! But, the view was incredible. I was so thankful that I had stretched far beyond my comfort zone hiking that day. As I looked at the area hiking trail maps a few days later, I realized that we had covered a LOT of ground on that hike. Seeing it on a map really made me feel better as I looked back on the difficultly I had accomplishing that goal.

I paired one of our pictures from that day with a quote that really seemed to fit it perfectly:
Great things never came from comfort zones.
I don't believe that we need to attempt to do GREAT things all the time. But, there are definitely times when what we try ends up being pretty great when we step out of our comfort zones.


5 Minute Free-For-All I Like Comfort Zones #write31days 10-16-16

No comments:

Post a Comment