Just a glimpse of me...

My photo
Do you ever feel STUCK? In 2000, I began looking for answers to some tough questions in my life. I'd searched high & low and finally conceded to search the promises found in the Bible. Those promises have sustained & guided me through the loss of a parent, the struggle with anxiety & depression, the loss of a valued relationship and so much more! I've found joy amid the pain. And, I want to share it with you!

26 October 2015

sunrise thoughts 26 October 2015

Today I awoke up with a mix of feeling excited & feeling overwhelmed. The weekend went by so fast. We accomplished a lot and had some fantastic moments together as a family:

  • We shared a relaxed Friday evening after a busy week
  • I got tons of yard work done in preparation for the winter months
  • We got to visit with our church family on Sunday
  • The Little, The Mommy & I visited the local Pumpkin Patch
  • We worked on the winter condo for the laying hens
  • The Little & I ran and played in the open field at sunset on Sunday and then
  • We all enjoyed a bonfire to close out the busy weekend.


It was a GREAT weekend - one full of moments that will become cherished memories. But, I still woke up with a long list of things that needed to be done around the house and the knowledge that I had a date to ride in the combine again all day.

I scrambled to get things done & texted our friend to ask if we could meet up at noon instead of the first part of the day. I did the few morning chores that had to be done and kept plugging away at the inside To Do List. I laid out things so that I'd be ready to head out as soon as I got the text or call from our farmer friend.

The text came... the harvesting was COMPLETED last night. And, for our friend, today was devoted to cleaning equipment & winter preparations on his farm. I had a mix of emotions again. I hated to miss one more day riding alongside my friend in the combine. Those are special times that few get to enjoy. Although disappointed, I was somewhat relieved knowing that I might actually get the inside things accomplished leaving time for more needed outside work this afternoon & evening. The coming winter has no regard for whether we are ready or not.

When I was little & my grandma could see that I was upset by something that had happened, she'd softly say, "Roll with the punches, Honey!" She said it with a grin on her face & a look in her eyes that those words had played a special part in her journey. 

I didn't get the full impact of her words those many years ago -- or the way in which she might have meant them. Some things are best understood after years have passed. Literally speaking, when we ROLL with a punch or a fall, we lessen the impact of the hit. We haven't avoided the hit at all. However, we have put ourselves in a better position to recover from it and possibly avoid injury at all.

So, when things don't go quite as planned,
ROLL WITH THE PUNCHES.
If you do, you're more likely to get up & carry on -- in the best way possible.


For more sunrise shots, visit our Facebook page. For all the "sunrise thoughts" posts, click here.
Writing daily with the #write31days community. AND...

DaySpring.com is celebrating all of the amazing Write 31 Days readers who are supporting nearly 2,000 writers this October! To enter to win a $500 DaySpring shopping spree, just click on this link & follow the giveaway widget instructions. Good luck, and thanks for reading! 

stuckinindiana

7 comments:

  1. Don't Grandma's have the best sayings? And we hear them when we are young and never forget. I'm so glad I stopped by, beautiful memories, beautiful words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES... they do! My grandma & mom filled my head with all sorts of sayings - ha ha! Thanks for your kind words & for coming by to read!!

      Delete
  2. I have rolled with the punches so often in my life, I am beginning to look like a round bale of hay!!! Love your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our physical appearance sounds JUST ALIKE too!! We must be related :D Thanks for the kind words Susan. Your encouragement & support are so greatly appreciated!

      Delete
  3. YIKES!! Accidentally deleted this comment from Tara Ulrich :/
    "Sounds like it was a great weekend. Finishing the harvest is always such a good feeling. "
    I totally agree Tara. Thanks for stopping by!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that saying too. What a neat story. I am jealous of your farm life. That's always been a dream of mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by the blog Natalie. I always wanted to live in a more rural setting - after having grown up in a small community in North Carolina. We are still the "city folks" around here. But, we are enjoying being here - for sure! Maybe some day you will also have a little "farm life" in your world. You just never know with God :)

      Delete