Just a glimpse of me...

My photo
Do you ever feel STUCK? In 2000, I began looking for answers to some tough questions in my life. I'd searched high & low and finally conceded to search the promises found in the Bible. Those promises have sustained & guided me through the loss of a parent, the struggle with anxiety & depression, the loss of a valued relationship and so much more! I've found joy amid the pain. And, I want to share it with you!

27 September 2015

A Moment I Will Never Forget...

If YOU were asked to describe a moment that you would NEVER forget, WHAT WOULD IT BE? You know, never is a LONG time. I've had quite a few awesome "moments" in my life. But, of all the things that ever happened to me, I'd have to say that one Sunday... a few minutes after noon... as the sun broke through the clouds & warmed my back through the family room window... would be the moment.

It all began with a dream I had when I was 4 or 5.
We were living in Michigan then... me, my 2 sisters and my mom & dad. It was in the spring - after we'd attended an Easter pageant in our area. I was awakened in the middle of the night by a dream. The details are still very vivid to me even though many years have passed since first having the dream. I don't remember ever telling anyone about it -- although I dreamed it many times as I grew up. I even remember having the dream while I was in college and after I had our first child was born. The details of the dream never seemed to change. And, it always seemed to be unfinished & shrouded with a hazy mist. But, the dream always brought comfort to me -- like holding the hand of an old friend.

There's a quote I used on the "stuckinindiana" Facebook page first over a year ago and then again in August. As I write this post; however, it comes to mind in a new way for me.
"It's not what the Dream is,
but what the Dream does."
~ John Johnson
That dream all those years ago never seemed to do anything other than bring confusion and comfort... until that day in 2002. The hospice nurse had just visited and helped us move my frail father to the hospital bed by the family room bay window. It had been set up for almost a week but remained empty until that morning. Dad wanted to stay with mom in their own bed. She wouldn't have wanted it any other way. But, his breathing had become labored from the fluids building up in his lungs & his vital signs were weak. The hospice nurse convince Mom that he would rest more easily in the hospital bed. I'd taken my place by his side. My sister & I sang songs to him. I whispered promises & reassuring scriptures in his ear. We were alone together in the room (quite similar to that dream long ago) when I kissed him on the forehead, he breathed out a long slow breath and the clouds opened behind me to bright, warm sunshine. At that very moment, I knew the meaning of the dream I'd had so many years ago and felt a peace that made no sense in that moment of loss.

I will always cherish that moment. And, I will always cherish the dream that remained so mysterious, but so ever-present, for all of my growing up years. 

More to the story here:
Days of Remembrance 
A Kiss & A Goodbye 
Crazy Connection!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment