Just a glimpse of me...

My photo
Do you ever feel STUCK? In 2000, I began looking for answers to some tough questions in my life. I'd searched high & low and finally conceded to search the promises found in the Bible. Those promises have sustained & guided me through the loss of a parent, the struggle with anxiety & depression, the loss of a valued relationship and so much more! I've found joy amid the pain. And, I want to share it with you!

14 June 2015

Don't be afraid to... BE YOUrself!

As a child, I was skinny... the kind of skinny that reminded most people of a child from a refugee camp. I have the pics to prove it too! I'll post a few of those at a later time - perhaps here or perhaps on the Facebook page.

The truth of the matter was that I was so tall & skinny that I got a lot of attention. And, it wasn't the GOOD kind of attention. In addition to that, there were some other things at work in my life which, since happening when I was a young child, made me feel odd & out of place. Needless to say, I never did want to BE ME! I dreamed of being someone else... someone that melted into the scenery and didn't stand out and draw attention.
 
It took a lot of years. But, little by little, I began to accept that I was uniquely created in a good way. My quirkiness hasn't totally gone & I've not really refined much as I've aged. However, I've grown more comfortable with the skin I'm in and the person I was created to be.

I'm sure I'm not alone in these feelings... the questioning of my worth or value... the questioning of my physical attractiveness... the questioning of my place in the world or my impact on the world and those closest to me. But, the "questioning" has been for a season. And, those seasons seem to be getting fewer and farther in between.

Every once in awhile there's a BIG REMINDER that I should not give in to those former doubtful feelings. One such time is depicted in the "stuckinindiana-pairing" I've used for this post. If you look closely at the picture you'll see a beautiful older woman who seemed to be very comfortable with being HER own person. I hope with the passing of each day that YOU and I will become more comfortable and accepting of our own uniqueness!

NOTE TO SELF (and to you, if it applies):
Don't be afraid to... BE YOUrself!!
 
 
(See the blog labels for related postings.)

No comments:

Post a Comment