Just a glimpse of me...

My photo
Do you ever feel STUCK? In 2000, I began looking for answers to some tough questions in my life. I'd searched high & low and finally conceded to search the promises found in the Bible. Those promises have sustained & guided me through the loss of a parent, the struggle with anxiety & depression, the loss of a valued relationship and so much more! I've found joy amid the pain. And, I want to share it with you!

26 November 2014

Give Thanks... In Everything??

I am thankful for friends, family,
faith, freedom, farmers, food
and so much more!
Recently, it seems like people in my community -- my family of friends -- are being reminded of the brevity & value of life itself. A 90-year old mentor & friend to many of us passed away over the weekend... on his 67th wedding anniversary. His battle with cancer was a fierce one. He left a grieving wife whose life has now taken a step into the unknown. 

A wonderful young mom didn't get the outcome, for which her heart cried, in a custody hearing a few weeks ago. Thanksgiving & Christmas won't be the same. The memories of past holidays will bring some comfort this year, as her prayers will plead for new memories to be made in the coming years with her precious children.

Just last night another dear friend learned the unexpected news
of the passing of his brother. He & his family are left with so many questions. A life gone... too soon. A reminder of the brevity of life & the sense of loss felt when a loved one passes.

A sweet friend whose husband has been battling major health concerns just learned that her body has been silently battling ovarian cancer for several years now. Like they used to say in the old days, "She appeared to be as healthy as a horse." There were no indicators of that silent enemy at work within her until recently. Chemo treatments have already begun. Surgery is scheduled in the near future. We don't really know how it will all play out.

And, one of my "sister-friends" is expectantly awaiting God's healing touch as her body battles the latter stages of pancreatic cancer. Her's was another diagnosis which took us all totally by surprise. The cancer had been growing for years and, the symptoms were attributed to other things in the past few years. We BELIEVE in our hearts that her complete healing will come. We just don't know if that healing will occur here on earth with us - her loved ones - or if her healing will come when she sees the face of Jesus.

All above are somewhat bittersweet reminders & confirmations of the value & brevity of life. A joyous reminder... About 6 weeks ago an unexpected phone call brought the news of a newborn boy in need of a forever family. In less than 5 hours from that call, an adoption turned two married people into "Mom" and "Dad". Life changed immediately for them... and for that little boy. Our hearts are filled with joy & gratitude! Life is precious.

In all of these things, the sweet & the bittersweet, I'm able to find gratitude & thanksgiving. I'm grateful that these people are/were in my life. I'm grateful that my relationships with them feels/felt a little more like family than just friends. I'm thankful that each of these people have made a difference in my life & in the world. I'm thankful for the richness added to my life & to this world by each of these people... one by one.    

I profess to be a follower of Christ. It is my belief that there is more than just this life on earth. I believe that heaven is our true home. But, I believe that every moment of life here is of value too. I count it as a blessing that I know so many people who take comfort in promises that I hold dear. The Bible says that our bodies may be dying but, our spirits are being renewed every day. Our life here is like a vapor.  Life is short... eternal life is FOREVER. 

Today, I give thanks with a grateful heart for life... so valuable, so brief! Like I said above in the photo caption, "I am thankful for friends, family, faith, freedom, farmers, food and SO MUCH MORE!"

In the good times & the bad, there are always reasons to give thanks and have a grateful heart. Be blessed today :)






No comments:

Post a Comment