Just a glimpse of me...

My photo
Do you ever feel STUCK? In 2000, I began looking for answers to some tough questions in my life. I'd searched high & low and finally conceded to search the promises found in the Bible. Those promises have sustained & guided me through the loss of a parent, the struggle with anxiety & depression, the loss of a valued relationship and so much more! I've found joy amid the pain. And, I want to share it with you!

02 April 2014

An Unexpected Friend - #JoyDare No. 2376

Just when you tell someone that you don't possibly have room in your life for one more friend, God proves you wrong. Well, that's how it seems in my life. And, a few years back, I made that statement to my small group. Talk about later trying to hide that I'd said it -- my small group holds me accountable. Thank the Lord!

I think when I spoke those words I was feeling overwhelmed with everything happening in my life and struggling with being able to keep in touch with all my close friends. I wasn't meeting up with anyone - due to the explosions happening around us :) I didn't seem to have the time or energy to barely give friends a quick call or send a quick note. Perhaps a lot of that was due to the fact that I was always thinking... I wish they'd get what they deserve! I was feeling like a loser at being a friend. I was also struggling to keep my friends up-to-date on some things that were happening in our family.

The craziness of life was also making it tough to keep up with my volunteer work for our church. But, the passion for that was life-giving so, in my thinking, I managed to limp along with that. While I thought I was limping along, ineffectively, God had a plan...

In response to a weekly note I wrote at that time on behalf of our Women's Ministries Leadership Team, I received a note from a woman who was wanting to make more of a connection to & commitment with God and his church -- possibly through our fellowship. I followed up on the note. Over the course of the next 3 months, we emailed back & forth pretty regularly as she shared some of the struggles she was facing in her life. I shared some of mine with her. We prayed for each other. We shared scriptures. We connected!

We met only face-to-face a few times. But unknown to me at that time, God had already reserved a special place in my heart just for this woman. A challenge she was facing three years ago prepared me for a similar one I would face two years later. The scriptures that we shared back & forth always seemed to be what each of us needed at that very moment. 

Almost four years later, that woman is a dear friend - who feels like a sister!

2376. an unexpected friend - who feels like a sister
"From where the sun rises to where the sun sets,
the name of the Lord should be praised."
Psalm 113:3

photo credit to that dear friend's daughter :)

I am thankful that God is working in me -- even when I am certain there's no room for anything or anyone else. I would have missed out on an eternal friend and a wonderful blessing had I not connect with that "unexpected friend"!

No comments:

Post a Comment