Just a glimpse of me...

My photo
Do you ever feel STUCK? In 2000, I began looking for answers to some tough questions in my life. I'd searched high & low and finally conceded to search the promises found in the Bible. Those promises have sustained & guided me through the loss of a parent, the struggle with anxiety & depression, the loss of a valued relationship and so much more! I've found joy amid the pain. And, I want to share it with you!

08 October 2013

HOPE, Insomnia 10-08-13

Don't ask me why I've had trouble sleeping that past 4 nights in a row!!! I haven't been preoccupied with any troubling thoughts. I haven't been nervous about something looming in the near future. And, I didn't have had too much caffeine any of those days. It probably has something to do with October 10th (my DOB) and a dirty, little, 3-letter word... AGE. Perhaps it's a gender thing, as well. It would appear that as we women celebrate more birthdays, many us begin having trouble sleeping through the nights. 

Great companion on sleepless nights:
Ceramic by my daughter;
light from my son.
I love to sleep. Over the years, I've been the one who could sleep anytime, anywhere... and through almost anything (even loud parties in my college dorm room - back in the day). I've been blessed to be able to get rested when I sleep - regardless of what's happening in my life. I thank God for that!!

As I woke up abruptly at 2am early this morning, after less than 3 hours of sleep, I thought, "Seriously, is this becoming the norm?" I was frustrated immediately but, caught myself knowing that frustration wasn't conducive to going back to sleep. On the nights that I don't sleep through the night, I get an opportunity to read my Bible without any interruptions and keep up with the great devotionals I receive via email. Since I volunteer & communicate for 3 ministry groups at my church (Women's Ministries, our church choir & our church orchestra), I love to save great quotes, notes & scriptures.

Last night, after reading my Bible & numerous devotionals... and after Facebook chatting for awhile with another mother who wasn't sleeping... I came across something I'd saved to share with others at a later date. It was perfect for what I needed in the wee hours of the night:

"At night, find comfort in My names: Shepherd, Savior, Immanuel, Prince of Peace."  ~ Sarah Young, Jesus Today: Experiencing Hope Through His Presence 
Upon seeing that quote, I turned off the light & began thinking about all those names... Lamb of God, Good Shepherd, Sacrifice, Savior, Immanuel, Son of Man, Light of the World, Friend Who Sticks Closer Than A Sister (you know what I mean), Deliverer, Finisher of Our Faith, Cornerstone, Prince of Peace...

Sleep came within minutes. I woke up this morning, having gotten about 5 hours of sleep, yet feeling as though I'd slept 10 hours. AND, I have a theory on that. It's a thought that came to me in my college days when keeping up with 3 jobs & a full course load & a possibly-too-full social life. I remember thinking that if God could actually do anything, why couldn't He rest my body in any amount of time, no matter how small, as if it had rested for 8+ hours. Since then, on restless nights, I just ask God to rest my body completely in the time I am able to sleep regardless of how little. 

Why couldn't He? He's God, after all. He's bigger than insomnia!

His promises... 
“My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts,” says the LORD. “And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine." Isaiah 55:8
Linking October 2013 with The Nesting Place
 for the 31-day Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment