Just a glimpse of me...

My photo
Do you ever feel STUCK? In 2000, I began looking for answers to some tough questions in my life. I'd searched high & low and finally conceded to search the promises found in the Bible. Those promises have sustained & guided me through the loss of a parent, the struggle with anxiety & depression, the loss of a valued relationship and so much more! I've found joy amid the pain. And, I want to share it with you!

24 September 2013

Waiting on the Porch

Time seemed to stand still. The days passed like weeks. The nights lingered and offered little rest. Each new morning brought more questions & uncertainty. Even so, in those times of darkness, he knew God was at work. Daily he found himself waiting on the porch, honestly crying out to God and waiting with expectation. He laid out his prayers before the Lord & waited with expectation for the answer to those prayers from the God he knew to be the One True God.

It felt like a life time. And, so often, it appeared to be hopeless. Yet, he waited & watched...


(free stock photo from rgbstock.com)
"And while he was still a long way off, his father saw him coming. Filled with love and compassion, he ran to his son, embraced him, and kissed him." Luke 15:20
All of us "churched folk" know the story - the parable told by Jesus of the prodigal son found in the 15th chapter of Luke, verses 11-32. A man had two sons whom he loved dearly. Both brought up in a loving, God-honoring home. Both taught about God of Abraham in word & in deed. And yet... one chose to take another path. 

Do you know someone who's waiting on the porch today? 

How about you? Have you ever been waiting...
  • waiting for forgiveness - whether it be from others or yourself
  • waiting for someone with whom to spend the rest of your days
  • waiting for a relationship to mend
  • waiting to find the perfect job or just any job
  • waiting for healing to come
  • waiting for a lost one to find their way home  

Life has a way of throwing obstacles in our way which we can allow to hinder us from choosing to experience the joy & peace that God offers each of us daily. We can experience this joy & peace daily -- even when we are waiting. I don't think that it's the waiting that bring turmoil. I think it's the waiting without expectation (hope) that breaks us down. 

I'm waiting on the porch today. I'm believing that God is at work & that my waiting is not in vain. I boldly echo the words of the Psalmist:
"Listen to my voice in the morning, Lord. Each morning I bring my requests to you and wait expectantly." Psalm 5:3
Are YOU waiting on the porch for something today?


Shared with the Ann Voskamp, Holy Experience, community 9/30/2013...










No comments:

Post a Comment