Just a glimpse of me...

My photo
Do you ever feel STUCK? In 2000, I began looking for answers to some tough questions in my life. I'd searched high & low and finally conceded to search the promises found in the Bible. Those promises have sustained & guided me through the loss of a parent, the struggle with anxiety & depression, the loss of a valued relationship and so much more! I've found joy amid the pain. And, I want to share it with you!

25 March 2013

Violated Traditions

What makes you feel safe? What brings you comfort? What makes you feel in control? What makes you feel "at home"? For me, I've found comfort often in traditions. And, for me, those traditions are usually pretty relaxed. For instance...
  • I like to celebrate Easter -- but, it has nothing to do with a specific food or meal
  • I like to celebrate Thanksgiving -- but it's fine to do it at a restaurant every once in awhile
  • I like to celebrate Christmas -- but, I don't have to open presents at a certain time for it to still feel like Christmas to me
Memorial Day reminds me of picnics. The Fourth of July reminds me of fireworks - although I still am not fond of the loud BOOM! Father's Day reminds me of buying ties or serving Dad a special breakfast in bed. Mother's Day memories are of planting a seed in a styro-foam cup in April & giving it to Mom just as it was beginning to grow.

What about those "sacred" days that no longer fill us with joy? And, what about when the traditions have been shattered by the death of a loved one or the death of a marriage?
  • The Father's Day for those who may have suffered at the hand of a broken father?
  • The Mother's Day for those whose mom recently passed or who've been unsuccessful for so many years at becoming a mother? 
  • The traditional summer vacation with the friends who were like family but are no longer together & starting their own traditions.
We are all broken...
God makes us whole!
How can we celebrate holidays & continue traditions when life has crashed down upon them... when the memory or someone or something fills us with sadness or pain?

I don't have all the answers to those questions for anyone other than myself. And, for me, over the years, the answers have evolved as I have walked through different seasons in my own life. There's a verse in the Bible says that to "work out your own salvation". I've come to believe that we find the place of celebration or observance of traditions & holidays on our knees, in the presence of the Lord. 



Linking with Ann Voskamp - A Holy Experience today...

No comments:

Post a Comment