Just a glimpse of me...

My photo
Do you ever feel STUCK? In 2000, I began looking for answers to some tough questions in my life. I'd searched high & low and finally conceded to search the promises found in the Bible. Those promises have sustained & guided me through the loss of a parent, the struggle with anxiety & depression, the loss of a valued relationship and so much more! I've found joy amid the pain. And, I want to share it with you!

27 October 2012

Crazy About Traditions! - 31 DAYS OF CRAZY - 27 October 2012



I love traditions...big ones, little ones, significant ones, silly ones. And, the tradition which I started 3 October's ago was that I jump in the pool when we close it.  But, this year... this year the LOML decided not to put a cover on our pool the entire summer and into the fall.  When I checked the thermometer this morning, the pool was 48 degrees.

That called for a big decision this morning...  Do I honor my fun, family tradition and possibly DIE or... Do I let the tradition go for this year.  Guess what I did?

Well, there were other things to be considered this year, as well.  There were no kids home today--just me, the LOML and the cat. I started the pool tradition to give the kids a legit reason to laugh at me. The LOML thought it was pretty ridiculous to begin with. And, with no cover on the pool for the summer & while the ancient shagbark hickory tree dropped almost all of its leaves, the pool had begun to look more like a pond. The bottom was covered with leaves - despite numerous attempts to scoop them out over the past few weeks! As for the creepy crawly things on the bottom on the pool, I'd rather not talk about them!

By the time the leaves had been cleaned off the bottom & the chemicals had been added, it was time for lunch. And, me being me, I insisted that it was on the deck. You know me... and my being crazy about my traditions. It wasn't a fancy lunch but, tasted wonderful in the warm fall sun with the reflections dancing on the trellis above us. There's nothing like an outside picnic when the air is cool & the sun is hot!  And, the LOML didn't even complain - although eating outside is never his first choice!  

If I could persuade the LOML to wait even longer to cover my pond, I would. I lived by the sea for 15 years of my life and, I need to see water :)  There's something about water & light bouncing off of it that just brings a calm to me. And, there's something calming to me about traditions - no matter how small or insignificant. Is it familiarity or is it another type of control for me?  I don't know if I have that answer yet. Am I the only one who is this old & still trying to figure things out - ha ha!

We bought this house in the spring of 2009.  The house we lived in before was our home from when our older child began grade school and until the younger child was a senior in high school. I didn't really want to move here. There were so many wonderful family traditions in that other house. Playing on my weaknesses, the LOML found a house that he liked which had a pool. I fell for it too.  But, I'm glad that I did. And, I'm glad that the previous owners chose a blue tarp to cover the pool.  At least I can pretend that it's water, right? 

Oh, and the tradition of me jumping in the pool on the day we close it is still in affect! It just didn't happen THIS year!  


Go check out over 1200 topics
in the 31 days {of change} with...


No comments:

Post a Comment