Just a glimpse of me...

My photo
Do you ever feel STUCK? In 2000, I began looking for answers to some tough questions in my life. I'd searched high & low and finally conceded to search the promises found in the Bible. Those promises have sustained & guided me through the loss of a parent, the struggle with anxiety & depression, the loss of a valued relationship and so much more! I've found joy amid the pain. And, I want to share it with you!

14 June 2012

The Rumor Weed

We are a Veggie Tales family... well, from way back when the kids were young.  Their favorite present for a birthday or for Christmas in those days was a new Veggie Tales video. (Yes, that's video versus DVD!)  The kids are entering adulthood these days. And, a great present for ME would be all those episodes on DVD - possibly for future grandchildren but, definitely for me too!

The other day my "little" girl (okay, my young adult girl) & I were strolling along the side of the house. We were checking the progress of lilac bushes, the lilies left from the former owner which were given to her by her children, the bulbs we planted a few years back & the vinca that is so beautiful in bloom but, a bit intrusive. All of a sudden she cried out, "Oh my goodness! It's the Rumor Weed!"  Yes, alongside the soon to be blooming irises was a huge, thorny weed reaching to the sun :/ And, my mind immediately went back the Veggie Tales days & the story of the Rumor Weed.
  

How am I to deal with these horrible weeds overtaking our property this year?  They seem to be popping up in every single plant bed!  What's up with that?  Where did they come from?  What's the easiest way to get rid of them?
  • I was told that boiling water poured directly on the huge weed would kill it to the core.  I tried it... it didn't really work.
  • I was told to pour vinegar directly on the week to kill it.  I tried it... it didn't work.
Since I was a young child, I remember my mom telling me that if you don't get the entire root out, that most weeds will continue to come back up.  But, getting the entire root out is easier said than done. You usually have to use a long digging implement.  Sometimes you have to moisten the surrounding ground. However, they still tend to break off - leaving some of the root in the ground... for another day :/

"Rumor weeds" and rumors are a lot alike!  The Bible, in Proverbs 18:8, tells us that:
"Rumors are dainty morsels that sink deep into one's heart."
Rumors seem to SINK deep down pretty quickly, taking root securely, and making extraction difficult at best.  So, what are the solutions?
  • Don't start them at all.  Watch your garden for early signs. Watch your thoughts & speech for early signs of wanting to "share" something that shouldn't be shared or said.
  • Get rid of them as quickly as possible. Be vigilant about check your garden & your life for the start & cultivations of rumors.
  • When you see one - get rid of it immediately.  Put a stop to rumors you hear. 




Like Larry Boy taught my children when they were young & reminded me as an adult, words have a lot of power!  Choose & share them carefully! 

No comments:

Post a Comment