The other day my "little" girl (okay, my young adult girl) & I were strolling along the side of the house. We were checking the progress of lilac bushes, the lilies left from the former owner which were given to her by her children, the bulbs we planted a few years back & the vinca that is so beautiful in bloom but, a bit intrusive. All of a sudden she cried out, "Oh my goodness! It's the Rumor Weed!" Yes, alongside the soon to be blooming irises was a huge, thorny weed reaching to the sun :/ And, my mind immediately went back the Veggie Tales days & the story of the Rumor Weed.
How am I to deal with these horrible weeds overtaking our property this year? They seem to be popping up in every single plant bed! What's up with that? Where did they come from? What's the easiest way to get rid of them?
Since I was a young child, I remember my mom telling me that if you don't get the entire root out, that most weeds will continue to come back up. But, getting the entire root out is easier said than done. You usually have to use a long digging implement. Sometimes you have to moisten the surrounding ground. However, they still tend to break off - leaving some of the root in the ground... for another day :/
- I was told that boiling water poured directly on the huge weed would kill it to the core. I tried it... it didn't really work.
- I was told to pour vinegar directly on the week to kill it. I tried it... it didn't work.
"Rumor weeds" and rumors are a lot alike! The Bible, in Proverbs 18:8, tells us that:
"Rumors are dainty morsels that sink deep into one's heart."Rumors seem to SINK deep down pretty quickly, taking root securely, and making extraction difficult at best. So, what are the solutions?
- Don't start them at all. Watch your garden for early signs. Watch your thoughts & speech for early signs of wanting to "share" something that shouldn't be shared or said.
- Get rid of them as quickly as possible. Be vigilant about check your garden & your life for the start & cultivations of rumors.
- When you see one - get rid of it immediately. Put a stop to rumors you hear.
Like Larry Boy taught my children when they were young & reminded me as an adult, words have a lot of power! Choose & share them carefully!