Just a glimpse of me...

My photo
Do you ever feel STUCK? In 2000, I began looking for answers to some tough questions in my life. I'd searched high & low and finally conceded to search the promises found in the Bible. Those promises have sustained & guided me through the loss of a parent, the struggle with anxiety & depression, the loss of a valued relationship and so much more! I've found joy amid the pain. And, I want to share it with you!

16 June 2012

The "Good" Gifts

Good gifts versus not-so-good gifts... does anyone besides me experience this in their lives?  I'm guessing YES!

When I was young, I loved baby pigs... baby pig pictures, baby pig figurines, baby pig stuffed animals, etc.  I stopped liking them somewhere shortly after junior high.  When did I stop getting "baby pig" things from my mom... ummmmmm, not quite yet :/  Thankfully, "baby pig gifts" have become few & far between.

When I was college age & began choosing my own clothes, it became obvious that I was picking a lot of pieces of clothing and outfits that were black, white or red... OR a combination of the three colors.  I still like red & black but... not everything that is red & black!

My children were, shall we say, less than thrilled to receive figurines in their honor one Christmas.  Our son was learning to play a few musical instruments at the time .Our daughter was in a singing & dancing group. Neither have asked to HAVE those gifts. But, I'm saving them... somewhere around this house!





What do I consider to be "good" gifts?  I guess things that are meaningful & given with love.  So, even a few gifts that I haven't particularly cared for have felt like GOOD gifts.  Because I felt they were given out of love. I was brought up in a the home of a rather "not-financially-secure" pastor. Our presents for Christmas was new socks, a new pair of church shoes, a winter coat (often gently used by another parishioner's child), etc.  Those were GOOD gifts.  They represented something we needed that was given to us in love!

What gifts do I give now to my children & family members?  Gifts that I know will be special to them... things that will mean something to them.  

And, what is the source of EVERY good gift?

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above,
and comes down from the Father of lights,
with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning.  

Shared with the Ann Voskamp 1000 Gifts Community on 01 October 2012
holy experience

No comments:

Post a Comment