Just a glimpse of me...

My photo
Do you ever feel STUCK? In 2000, I began looking for answers to some tough questions in my life. I'd searched high & low and finally conceded to search the promises found in the Bible. Those promises have sustained & guided me through the loss of a parent, the struggle with anxiety & depression, the loss of a valued relationship and so much more! I've found joy amid the pain. And, I want to share it with you!

01 September 2009

Parenting is NOT for the Faint of Heart!

In our adult Sunday School class a few years back, one of the couples (parents of 3 children) were beginning the summer after their oldest child's first year in college. She was coming in late, being noisy, not reporting where she was, requesting QUIET in the morning hours, and more! I remember my husband & I "giving them advice". While doing that, I was silently wondering what will we actually "do" if we faced that!!

I guess we learned that when our oldest came home after freshman year of college. When we began experiencing the same things our friends had told us about all those years ago, the LOML and I recounted the "advice" we'd given to our friends. We'd said something like this...

"You married your spouse because you LOVED them... not just so you could be a parent. It's YOUR home and as long as they're living in your home (especially when you're paying for any part of their life), they need to respect the "house rules" you have set for YOUR home."
This hasn't hasn't been easy. And, there's been some give and take. But, we consider this to be a good life lesson. Not one of us will ever get 100% of anything in life just the way we want it. Why should we allow our children get that in their parents' home - regardless of their age? It's not easy but, it's right! Like my subject line said... parenting is NOT for the faint of heart!


You've probably heard the King James Version of Proverbs 22:6, "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it." Well, I love the New Living Translation of that verse:
"Teach your children to choose the right path, and when they are older, they will remain upon it." Proverbs 22:6
Claim that verse today & make the right choices for those in your care - even when it's difficult! 
 

 
 

 
 

4 comments:

  1. I can't imagine parenting all over again. Once was enough. I babysit grandchildren now. Good advice though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Tessa & congrats on the Tuesday at Ten highlight :) You are SO right... once is enough to go through full-fledge parenting!!! Thank goodness my child-bearing years are over - LOL!

      Delete
  2. My oldest is preparing for college and I will be thrilled any time she wants to live at home. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry that I am so late to reply & say THANKS for stopping by, reading & leaving a comment. Prayers for your daughter in this next phase. Have a blessed Christmas!!

      Delete