Just a glimpse of me...

My photo
Do you ever feel STUCK? In 2000, I began looking for answers to some tough questions in my life. I'd searched high & low and finally conceded to search the promises found in the Bible. Those promises have sustained & guided me through the loss of a parent, the struggle with anxiety & depression, the loss of a valued relationship and so much more! I've found joy amid the pain. And, I want to share it with you!

22 September 2009

Caitlyn Young vs Caitlyn Old - 3 No Strings Attached



About 10-15 years ago, a few things began to really "get under my skin" about a dear, cherished, beloved relative. I pondered those things & came to the abrupt conclusion that I too could easily slip into similar and perhaps the exact (gasp) behaviors. It was at that time that I began a new file entitled, "Caitlyn Young vs Caitlyn Old". About 2-3 times each year, I send the file to a few "sister friends" in the hopes that they will NOT let me edit the entries as I get older to suit my fancy. I'm beginning with the first entry & will add others throughout the coming months, years, whatever :)

I began the file with a note to read each time I open it...

Dear "Old" Caitlyn,
As you continue to get "older", please DON’T FORGET the following these guidelines from...
"Young" Caitlyn

Caitlyn Young vs Caitlyn Old -- Entry #3

Solomon sitting on the Christmas bags so I couldn't put them away!
3. No strings attached please!  What does it mean to give a gift to someone? Does your gift come with conditions -- is there a cost? Are you giving to get a thank you or to make a big impression? Are you giving your gift with a hidden agenda? The same thoughts go with the intent of a compliment or an invitation to join you in an activity, etc. When growing up, 99% of the time, I felt like there were conditions to the approval & affection that I received. As, I grew up, that perception didn't seem to change much from that one person. Currently, I see that same thing happening in the lives of my children.

Why do we have to attach strings to so many things in our lives. When we give without the expectation of receiving something in return, the joy is immediate with our gift. We aren't sitting in a holding pattern waiting for recognition or accolades! Isn't this they way it was intended? None of us enjoy going on a guilt trip.

Old Caitlyn: DON'T send your loved ones on a guilt trip. Give freely!

Scriptures of the Day: A few scriptures that come to my mind. Acts 20:35: "You should remember the words of the Lord Jesus: `It is more blessed to give than to receive.'" Luke 6:38: "If you give, you will receive. Your gift will return to you in full measure, pressed down, shaken together to make room for more, and running over. Whatever measure you use in giving--large or small--it will be used to measure what is given back to you."

SO TODAY... as Deuteronomy 15:10 says, "Give freely without begrudging it, and the LORD your God will bless you in everything you do."

FORMER POSTS IN THIS "SERIES"
Caitlyn Young vs Caitlyn Old #1 - Sleep Around
Caitlyn Young vs Caitlyn Old #2 - The World Doesn't Owe Me



No comments:

Post a Comment