Just a glimpse of me...

My photo
Do you ever feel STUCK? In 2000, I began looking for answers to some tough questions in my life. I'd searched high & low and finally conceded to search the promises found in the Bible. Those promises have sustained & guided me through the loss of a parent, the struggle with anxiety & depression, the loss of a valued relationship and so much more! I've found joy amid the pain. And, I want to share it with you!

20 October 2016

Comparison is the Thief of Joy - #write31days 10-20-16

This is year 5 of me participating in the #write31days challenge with thousands of other bloggers/writers. I've been so busy this year (and especially this month) that I feel like I can hardly write each day. I read posts by the others who also accepted the #write31days challenge this year and wonder why I am even participating. 

But, then I think about how much I enjoy writing -- regardless of the number of people who read the posts or the number of comments or shares. Writing is a great creative outlet for me. It marks my days - the thoughts, dreams, actions, feelings, desires, disappointments, lessons learned and much more. 

If I allowed myself to make comparisons between how I write and how others write, I would not experience the joy that I have in writing. I'm quite certain that I would fret over each new post wondering if it was worthy of this challenge. And, each day would become harder and harder as I focused on the excellent writing of others and the "sub-par" writing I do. But, that's one great thing about writing... it's for everyone!

I spent a lot of years in my life letting comparison of myself with others rob me of joy. I guess there is an up-side to getting older. I've gotten to the point where I want all the joy I can get and I'm not that concerned about comparison anymore.

So many things in life would be better if we would embrace Roosevelt's words...
"Comparison is the thief of joy." ~ Theodore Roosevelt

No comments:

Post a Comment