Just a glimpse of me...

My photo
Do you ever feel STUCK? In 2000, I began looking for answers to some tough questions in my life. I'd searched high & low and finally conceded to search the promises found in the Bible. Those promises have sustained & guided me through the loss of a parent, the struggle with anxiety & depression, the loss of a valued relationship and so much more! I've found joy amid the pain. And, I want to share it with you!

02 November 2015

Patience Brings Sweet Fruit

One of my favorite hobbies (if you can call it that) is finding thought-provoking words & pairing them up with a picture I've taken or a picture one of our stuckinindiana family members has done. I recently came across a quote by Aristotle & immediately knew which photo I'd use. 
"Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet." ~ Aristotle #quote

Patience doesn't seem to come easy for anyone I know. But, I don't know anyone who doesn't see patience as a virtue. Being patient isn't just waiting. It's acting in a responsible way while you are waiting. Here's a little example from my own backyard.

When we moved to this property, we were blessed to have about 15-20 mature trees - including 8-10 ornamental & fruit trees. The previous owner had saved some great trees that were native to this property & thoughtfully planted a variety of other plants & trees.

The first spring, we watched as an apple tree near the corn field was covered with fragrant blossoms. We "patiently waited" until the fruit came on - beautiful green apples. We could hardly wait to eat them. The first bite revealed a firm, yet juicy, apple... with a chalky, sour taste. BIG DISAPPOINTMENT.

The weeks went by & the apples didn't seem to get any bigger but, they began to change color to yellow. Awesome, we thought! It was time to EAT them. The verdict... firm, juicy, a bit sweeter - but, still chalky in taste. We were not happy to have a tree heavy laden with apples that were every thing perfect except taste!!! 

Another few weeks the apples began to take on an orange tint on the sides which got the most sun. A third taste revealed the best apple I'd ever tasted!

Fast forward five years to this past spring & summer. We pruned the tree early on since several of the branches broke from the weight of the apples last year. We watched the tree fill white with sweet smelling blossoms. We watched as the apples formed; became large and green; turned yellow; and then took on an orange tint. Yes, we did sneak a few apples along the way - but, we had learned over the past summers. That the sweetest fruit would only come with our being patient AND not picking apples prematurely to eat.

"Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet." ~ Aristotle #quote

Writing with the Tuesday at Ten friends :)
Writing Prompt: Patience

2 comments: