Just a glimpse of me...

My photo
Do you ever feel STUCK? In 2000, I began looking for answers to some tough questions in my life. I'd searched high & low and finally conceded to search the promises found in the Bible. Those promises have sustained & guided me through the loss of a parent, the struggle with anxiety & depression, the loss of a valued relationship and so much more! I've found joy amid the pain. And, I want to share it with you!

08 November 2015

Painful Twists and Turns

This week has been a doozie (my dad used that word often). My body's weary and my head is spinning and...

I am so very grateful for my family members!

Thursday, the Little & her Mommy
(our daughter) headed out on a jet plane to Florida to visit Disney World and cousins living in the Palm Beaches. They are gone for 10 days. It will be the longest I have been away from the Little since she was born -- nearly 3 years ago.

It will also be the longest the LOML have had together - just the two of us in our home together for 2 and a half years. YIPPEE!!! We were giddy with joy - anticipating sitting down across from each other from the dinner table, watching movies together somewhere besides in our bedroom, etc. 

The LOML asked me what I wanted to do & where I wanted to go while the girls were gone -- as in people girls, not chicken girls :) I immediately & emphatically replied, "I don't want to leave our house or property for the entire 10 days except for Sunday church & to walk for exercise on our country roads. Then I threw in that eating at our favorite little place would be fine too.

On Friday I updated my personal Facebook status to say:
Aside from church on Sundays & outside chores & walking on my country roads, I am not leaving my house for 10 days! Well... add Bonge's to that list too :)
And, then came Saturday... in the afternoon while the LOML and I were outside chipping away at a VERY LONG get-ready-for-winter chore list, I got a call from my mom (80-something; widowed; lives by herself... 85 miles north of us). She was in an ambulance on the way to the hospital with a possible hip fracture. She'd stumbled on uneven ground & fallen on very hard ground. She was in excruciating pain. We did what we had to do & then got up there as soon as possible. She was in surgery by that time. 

Turns out the fracture was at the "best possible place" and the surgery took less than 30 minutes. Her time in recovery was not too pleasant & she was there for almost 2 hours. She's still in a lot of pain. It was so hard to hear her gasp and groan with pain last night. And, it was so hard to see her wince as the physical therapist helped her move & get out of bed for a few steps twice today. Despite all of this, we are very thankful that it happened outside and that someone saw her and stopped to help! I'm thankful I had my cell in my pocket. I'm thankful the LOML was willing to go up with me.

No one knows when, where & what will happen in life. We get it as it comes. We do have complete control over how we respond to all the twists and turns. Yes, this is not the time I would have chosen to abandon the LOML. But, YES... I love my mom & trust that God will bring good from this untimely event. 


2 comments:

  1. Well SII ... I just found your blog via your Instagram - in one of my regular, '... serendipitous finds along my daily eclectic online journey...' ; one my methods learned along my journey to becoming 'content with being equally stuck-in, as I refer to it, 'Hoosierville'.

    Yes, it takes time. One either continues to divert energy to struggle against the force of life, or one learns to direct the energy to responding to opportunities: no matter where they may be.

    Maiking Life Work is not an easy task. But it is so worth the energy investment. No more than great feats of human endeavor are accomplished quickly, is the feat of leaning to be, "...content, in whatever situation I find myself..". Learning to ride the waves of Change, as ally instead of combatant, make the journey easier and vastly more productive.

    Over the past couple of decades I have found myself sidelined with a very isolating health issue (search #YOSAKIME for more info - if interested). During that period my life has been, forced-by-situation, to be more aware of value in the very near proximity and to be content with the present.

    To be honest, it has only been in the past couple of years, that I really began to 'get it'. To say this has been enlightening would be a very grave understatement!

    The struggle is still there. I am, still human. But the response improves daily.

    Best success to you in your journey. Do keep the writing going. You ARE being heard and what we hear are good words. Value is a rare commodity and should not be hindered. Best success!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The past month or so has been a whirlwind. And, I am just TODAY seeing your post. Thank you so much for the kind & encouraging words. Glad you stopped by & left these words!! Prayers for you as you battle those challenges! Many blessings this blessed season!!

      Delete