Just a glimpse of me...

My photo
Do you ever feel STUCK? In 2000, I began looking for answers to some tough questions in my life. I'd searched high & low and finally conceded to search the promises found in the Bible. Those promises have sustained & guided me through the loss of a parent, the struggle with anxiety & depression, the loss of a valued relationship and so much more! I've found joy amid the pain. And, I want to share it with you!

19 March 2014

The Grand Illusion of WORRY

My tendency, from childhood to the present day, is to WORRY* about things -- believing, in some way, that my extensive thoughts about a subject may in some way influence or control the outcome. I can't even count the minutes I've lost in my life by worrying. I dare say the number of minutes lost would match the pieces of broken sea shells in the picture I chose to "inscribe" today.

The Lord has helped me be stronger in the battle against worrying in the past 5-10 years. But, I have to be very careful to not fall back into familiar habits -- habits that solidified & became the norm in my life by constantly repeating them! I have to challenge myself to be vigilant against worry!

This morning, I saw a post by Ann Voskamp that reminded me once again that worry (*or whatever name we choose to call it... fretting, contemplating, planning, understanding something, preparing ourselves for what might happen, etc. and sometimes even PRAYING FERVENTLY??) does not add ONE GOOD THING to my life. It's hard for me to choose just one quote from what Ann writes. It's nearly impossible, to be quite honest. Today I chose the one above in the picture and paired it with a scripture that I have memorized & repeated to myself so many, many times!
 "Worry is merely the illusion of taking action -- when prayer really is." ~ Ann Voskamp  
"Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you." 1 Peter 5:7 NLT
Some other great quotes from that post:
  • When you let the weight of worries at the center of your life be displaced by Christ, your life takes wing. 
  • Worry is what leaves your wheels spinning. It's prayer that puts your life into drive.
  • Christ at the center of your life displaces gravity -- Worries lose all weight.
What are YOUR names for WORRY? Feel free to make a comment or contact me privately. 


Linking with Ann Voskamp - A Holy Experience today... 

No comments:

Post a Comment