Just a glimpse of me...

My photo
Do you ever feel STUCK? In 2000, I began looking for answers to some tough questions in my life. I'd searched high & low and finally conceded to search the promises found in the Bible. Those promises have sustained & guided me through the loss of a parent, the struggle with anxiety & depression, the loss of a valued relationship and so much more! I've found joy amid the pain. And, I want to share it with you!

15 October 2013

HOPE, A Scarf from Target 10-15-13

The way my mind works is, mmmmm - let's just say, CRAZY! Long before the days of 140-character tweets or brief Facebook status updates, my mind seemed to announce things in brief statements. So today, when I jumped in the car to head off to an appointment, my mind shouted the following:
"She donned a neon pink sweater and her new bright, floral scarf from Target... POURED HERSELF INTO her jeans... and headed out the door."
(NOTE: This was said with a very loud, authoritative, announcer-type voice!) 
I'm not really wanting to "come clean" entirely about the above thought. Suffice it to say that my exercise routine & caloric intake have not been what they should. To be completely honest, my lack of discipline is the real culprit. The consequences are quite obvious to me. And, some days you just can't hide under bulky clothes.

My mom used to say, "Draw people's eyes away from your weak areas." For example, if your hair doesn't look that great, grab a nice necklace or beautiful scarf to draw attention away from your hair. She also used to say that a longer top or jacket can hide a multitude of sins. And, she told me that if I had a small stain on my blouse, smile so big that no one would even think to look below my chin. (My mom was always good for giving a piece of advice.)

I don't want to minimize my lack of self-control with exercise & eating. However, I do want to say that there are times (often in the moment) when all our fretting will not change a thing. Sometimes the best thing to do is find some beauty in the not-so-perfect. I love my scarf from Target. I plan to continue wearing it for years to come. I don't plan to repeatedly use it as a disguise for the fit of my jeans. I'll work on that issue. Regardless, I hope that scarf from Target will bring brightness & color to others as they see it. I'm pretty certain I'll get a chuckle the next time I wear it :)


Some days I have to tell myself: Don't get bogged down in the moment... make a plan to get back on track... don't let it ruin your day.
“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble." Matthew 6:34
Linking this month with The Nesting Place
 for the 31-day Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment