Just a glimpse of me...

My photo
Do you ever feel STUCK? In 2000, I began looking for answers to some tough questions in my life. I'd searched high & low and finally conceded to search the promises found in the Bible. Those promises have sustained & guided me through the loss of a parent, the struggle with anxiety & depression, the loss of a valued relationship and so much more! I've found joy amid the pain. And, I want to share it with you!

24 October 2013

HOPE, The Long Way Home 10-24-13


I always hoped the kids
would say, Let's take
the long way home Mom.
When the children were very young, we lived in a small house right on one of our little city's main roads. As our older child neared school age, we began looking for a home with a neighborhood and a yard. We closed on a home in the back cul-de-sac of a little country neighborhood just shy of a month before our first child began first grade. We passed about a dozen homes as we entered our neighborhood going the "short" way and maybe 18 when we went the "long" way to our house. When we entered our neighborhood, we'd ask the kids if they wanted to go the long way or the short way. Almost always they shouted, THE LONG WAY! It probably took an extra 3 minutes to go that way. But, it was always fun to let them decide our course :)


Both of our children are now young adults (21 & 23) and still talk about choosing to go the long way. When they are both home for breaks & holidays, we will often ask them if them if they want to go the long way or the short way home from church or out to dinner. Who knew that our fun little game from years ago would still be a fun family activity even now :)

Today, on the way home from running errands, I looked back at my co-pilot who was sleeping peacefully in her car seat and, my mind whispered, "Let's take the long way home." We live out in the country a bit. So, our rides home now are longer than what they used to be. But, I am mesmerized by the beauty in this area during the autumn harvest time. While my passenger slept to beautiful music, I meandered down country roads & captured a few pics.

Sometimes it's just nice to take the long way home -- to slow life down and enjoy the moment. God has loving placed things in our path. We just need to open our eyes to them! 

His Words, 
This is what the Sovereign LORD, the Holy One of Israel, says: “Only in returning to me and resting in me will you be saved. In quietness and confidence is your strength. But you would have none of it." Isaiah 30:15
Throughout the course of time, God has reminded us to take our time along the way, Don't ignore those instructions - choose "the long way home" from time to time.

Linking October 2013 with The Nesting Place
 for the 31-day Challenge


Linking with Ann Voskamp - A Holy Experience today...


2 comments: