Just a glimpse of me...

My photo
Do you ever feel STUCK? In 2000, I began looking for answers to some tough questions in my life. I'd searched high & low and finally conceded to search the promises found in the Bible. Those promises have sustained & guided me through the loss of a parent, the struggle with anxiety & depression, the loss of a valued relationship and so much more! I've found joy amid the pain. And, I want to share it with you!

25 October 2013

HOPE, Leading Horses To Water 10-25-13

Just a thought that's been rumbling through my mind, especially in the past years...

You've heard the saying, "You can lead a horse to water. But, you can't make it drink." 

Well, that saying preoccupied my thoughts often in the past few years -- as we faced some of the normal challenges of parenthood (and a few of the not-so-normal challenges). Let's just say that I'm putting my children in the place of the "horses." We tried to lead to water -- in our case, water would be the Living Water - the Lord. Recent bumps in the road of life caused me to question...
  • Did we help them obtain the skills and values to prepare them for adulthood?
  • Did we model the values & beliefs we talk about - through actions - in public and at home? 
  • Did they see those same values & beliefs echoed in the activities we choose for leisure, celebration, etc.? 
  • Did they see similar values & beliefs in the friends with whom we chose to spend our time?
I went through a long time of asking myself many questions. I guess the bottom line was that I felt I needed to know I was the best parent I could be. After reflection, prayer and a lot of soul-searching, I came to the conclusion that we had done our best to bring up our children to understand what & why we had chosen our beliefs & values. Bottom line, I think we did pretty well at communicating those beliefs & values.

Now, it's their turn. I would like to think that they saw what we did, saw that it was good and will choose to live with the same beliefs & values. However, God gave us free will in our choices. We have set our hope on God & His Word for guidance as we journey along life. We can only choose for ourselves. And, we did choose - although not as quickly as our parents would have hoped. 

Even if you can't make the horse drink the water... I firmly believe that you should lead them to it.

My hope is in the Lord for my today & my tomorrow... for my children's today & tomorrow.
So each generation should set its hope anew on God, not forgetting his glorious miracles and obeying his commands. Psalm 78:7
Linking October 2013 with The Nesting Place
 for the 31-day Challenge 

No comments:

Post a Comment