Just a glimpse of me...

My photo
Do you ever feel STUCK? In 2000, I began looking for answers to some tough questions in my life. I'd searched high & low and finally conceded to search the promises found in the Bible. Those promises have sustained & guided me through the loss of a parent, the struggle with anxiety & depression, the loss of a valued relationship and so much more! I've found joy amid the pain. And, I want to share it with you!

09 September 2013

You Are The Only You!

Mondays are weird for me. I never seem to settle into what feels like normal for a Monday. During some seasons of life, I worked a traditional 8am-5pm job and Monday began that way. Other seasons, I was a stay-at-home mom, a home-maker, and a wife. Those Mondays started with the regular "To Do Lists." Recently, I've been a "DeeDee" (that's my name for grandmother) helping with the care of a sweet little girl. I continue, this season of life, to try and define the meaning of normality.

One thing that does seem normal on a Monday morning is trying to catch up on missed devotionals & missed announcements via social media, etc. This morning, when checking out the two Twitter accounts I manage, I stumbled across a note from To Write Love On Her Arms. And, apparently, this week is National Suicide Prevention Week.  

When I was young & through my high school and college years, I was probably seen as a very confident young woman. I'd grown up in the spotlight in my little town - being one of the daughters of a beloved pastor in that mountain community. I couldn't get away with a thing - LOL. I was in the spotlight. In the shadows, however, I questioned myself constantly...

OUCH... the memories!
... was I enough?
... was I attractive?
... was I smart?
... was I loved?
... would I ever amount to anything? 
... could I ever make a difference in this world?

Thoughts of suicide were something I faced almost daily. I didn't really want to DO it. But, I sure did want to be gone... over... done... away. I remember having those thoughts as early as the age of ten. And, seriously, why would an attractive young girl like her not have a great self-image?

I'm incredibly thankful God helped me through those years. I pray for others who battle such thoughts & struggle with lies & questions from Satan. Trust me, those are NOT from God. Believe this: 

YOU ARE THE ONLY YOU... and YOU ARE IMPORTANT & LOVED! 

From my own experiences, this week of National Suicide Prevention Week, I'm confident there are many people out there struggling on their own... often quite well hidden... with thoughts of shame, inadequacy, escape... suicide.  

If you struggle with this... Take time today to reach out for help or tell yourself to hang on - tomorrow will be better. Don't be embarrassed or scared to seek help!

If you don't struggle with this...  Take time today open your mind to the fact that others DO struggle in this way. And, open your eyes to the little clues that might point you in the direction of someone you can love.

IN HIS WORDS...
These words written to a people going through many trials... 
All praise to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is our merciful Father and the source of all comfort. He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When they are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us. For the more we suffer for Christ, the more God will shower us with his comfort through Christ. Even when we are weighed down with troubles, it is for your comfort and salvation! For when we ourselves are comforted, we will certainly comfort you. Then you can patiently endure the same things we suffer. We are confident that as you share in our sufferings, you will also share in the comfort God gives us. 2 Corinthians 1:2-7
Will you help me LOVE others?

PS... 
My friend, writer Chuck Kellum, shared this too...
If nothing else, at least try one of these: 800-SUICIDE, 800-273-TALK, or find another number to call at http://www.suicidehotlines.com/






No comments:

Post a Comment