Just a glimpse of me...

My photo
Do you ever feel STUCK? In 2000, I began looking for answers to some tough questions in my life. I'd searched high & low and finally conceded to search the promises found in the Bible. Those promises have sustained & guided me through the loss of a parent, the struggle with anxiety & depression, the loss of a valued relationship and so much more! I've found joy amid the pain. And, I want to share it with you!

17 September 2013

A Different Season

(written early August 2013)

It's not yet August and, we're entering into a different season in our lives. 

School is starting earlier this fall for our school corporation. Summer is too short. Why can't they get out right before Memorial Day and go back right after Labor Day? In my mind's eye, that's how it should be! It was that way when I was little. And, I turned out just fine!

Miss Frizzle (that'd be me) isn't returning this fall to drive her "magic school bus." Her break was to be for the summer. But, the big changes in our home seem impossible to manage with a 2:00-6:15pm weekday gig. 

The end of August will bring another school year for our son. Hard to believe our younger child will be a junior in college. There will be less music in the house when he leaves... and a lot more food. 

The end of August will bring more school hours for our daughter - chipping away at her last 17-18 hours while working about 25 hours a week, tending to her child & (in our view) walking on egg shells in a relationship which she continues to grasp to tightly despite the heartbreaks. This will be a different season for her - one where she comes home to a relatively clean house with a peaceful, loving atmosphere. 

We have two new family members here -- our daughter & her baby. The LOML & I aren't "empty-nesters" this season. We'll be figuring out a new rhythm to our lives this fall. We don't know how long this season will last. But, we will embrace it with our entire being and strive to be a reflection of God. Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 says,
For everything there is a season...a time for every activity under heaven. 
A time to be born and a time to die.A time to plant and a time to harvest. 
A time to kill and a time to heal.A time to tear down and a time to build up. 
A time to cry and a time to laugh.A time to grieve and a time to dance. 
A time to scatter stones and a time to gather stones.A time to embrace and a time to turn away. 
A time to search and a time to quit searching.A time to keep and a time to throw away. 
A time to tear and a time to mend.A time to be quiet and a time to speak. 
A time to love and a time to hate.A time for war and a time for peace.
And, in follow-up to the above thoughts, I love how verse 11 begins...
"Yet God has made everything beautiful for its own time. He has planted eternity in the human heart..." 
God is making this new season beautiful for us even if the condition of our home is total chaos  & not what most would consider beautiful. My heart affirms that this season is part of God's big plan!

For years now, I've been in the habit of changing my home decor to reflect the seasons. I love doing it. The LOML could take it or leave it. I have boxes & boxes of "seasonal" decorations which he joyfully pulls out & puts away for me throughout the year. This season his "work load" is a bit different. Yes... here's a picture of how my home is decorated for this season!






What are you doing to reflect the season you're experiencing now?



Linking 9-17-13 with the #1000Gifts Community of Ann Voskamp... 



No comments:

Post a Comment