Just a glimpse of me...

My photo
Do you ever feel STUCK? In 2000, I began looking for answers to some tough questions in my life. I'd searched high & low and finally conceded to search the promises found in the Bible. Those promises have sustained & guided me through the loss of a parent, the struggle with anxiety & depression, the loss of a valued relationship and so much more! I've found joy amid the pain. And, I want to share it with you!

04 March 2013

Be Still... Get Peace!

What brings you peace? Do you feel peaceful in the hustle & bustle of life? I don't. Getting away from the hustle bustle brings me peace.

God's Word says that He will give us no more than we can bear... "The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you can endure." 1 Corinthians 10:13 

And, God's Word also tells us to not worry about tomorrow... "So don't worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today's trouble is enough for today." Matthew 6:34

How can we balance that? Who doesn't play out what might happen tomorrow? Who doesn't try to figure things out "with the mind that God gave them"? As far as I'm concerned, the only way to keep the balance is to take time to be STILL & reflect upon the omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent God. I need to be still & KNOW that He is God... and, I am not! 

When I take time before Him, I stop trying to figure out all the what if's & the what won't be's

That, right over there to the left,
looks like peace to me. 


I don't know why but, I am overwhelmed with peace when I have a combination of sky, sea (waterfalls, creeks, lakes too!!), heights, sunrise or sunset & warm breezes. When my mind is racing & sleep is, once again, eluding me, I often picture a scene similar to this one in my mind. I almost always begin to relax, breath more steadily & drift off... away from the cares of the day and the hustle & bustle of my life.



God's Word gives us many reminders that peace can come from Him in every circumstance and in every season of life. Here are a few of my favorites: 

  • "This is what the Sovereign LORD, the Holy One of Israel, says: "Only in returning to me and resting in me will you be saved. In quietness and confidence is your strength.In quietness & confidence, you will find your strength." Isaiah 30:15a 
  • "Then you will experience God's peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:7
  • "Oh, that you had listened to my commands! Then you would have had peace flowing like a gentle river and righteousness rolling over you like waves in the sea." Isaiah 48:18
  • "Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth." Psalm 46:10
Do you have any favorite scriptures that bring you peace? So often we just need to calm down & be still in the presence of the Lord. What brings you peace when life is in turmoil?


No comments:

Post a Comment