Just a glimpse of me...

My photo
Do you ever feel STUCK? In 2000, I began looking for answers to some tough questions in my life. I'd searched high & low and finally conceded to search the promises found in the Bible. Those promises have sustained & guided me through the loss of a parent, the struggle with anxiety & depression, the loss of a valued relationship and so much more! I've found joy amid the pain. And, I want to share it with you!

20 February 2013

True Comfort & Comfort Foods

On a very cold February afternoon, I was sitting in a non-running 15-passenger van for 30+ minutes... DREAMING about some hot comfort food for this cold weather. Although the air temp was 21 degrees, the wind chill was 8 degrees! It was a gray day with lacy snowflakes floating down... and, I was COLD & hungry.


This time of year evokes many feelings in me. I absolutely love comfort foods on a cold day. Some of my favorites are the easy ones: Tomato Soup & Grilled Cheese; Breakfast for Dinner; White Chicken Chili; Beef Stew & Biscuits; etc.  

In an online article by Taste of Home, they list top 10 Comfort Foods & claim like they will taste like they came from Grandma's kitchen:
Lately, since I've added a real job to my volunteering, I seem to be doing a few more slow cooker recipes than usual. If you're on the go & don't have time in the evenings to pull some great meals together, check out these online slow cooker recipes. Even when it's simple to pull together, a home-cooked meal in the winter brings me comfort :)

Winter isn't the only time we need comforted. Life can get crazy... dreams aren't fulfilled, relationships change and sometimes end in flames, loved ones face consequences of choices made while we can only stand by & watch them suffer those consequences. We need moments of comfort and, we need the assurance that comfort will come. The only place for lasting & true comfort is in the hands of God. Even in the worst of times, His comforts are there for each of us -- if we will just open our eyes to them!

God's Word promises us... 
"In the multitude of my anxieties within me, Your comforts delight my soul."Psalm 94:19
So, let's give... 
"All praise to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is our merciful Father and the source of all comfort. He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When they are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us. For the more we suffer for Christ, the more God will shower us with his comfort through Christ. Even when we are weighed down with troubles, it is for your comfort and salvation! For when we ourselves are comforted, we will certainly comfort you. Then you can patiently endure the same things we suffer. We are confident that as you share in our sufferings, you will also share in the comfort God gives us." 2 Corinthians 1:3-7
In the cold times of life... stay warm friends; and, share in the comfort God gives us through each other. Cover each other in prayer. Comfort each other when you can do so.   

No comments:

Post a Comment