Just a glimpse of me...

My photo
Do you ever feel STUCK? In 2000, I began looking for answers to some tough questions in my life. I'd searched high & low and finally conceded to search the promises found in the Bible. Those promises have sustained & guided me through the loss of a parent, the struggle with anxiety & depression, the loss of a valued relationship and so much more! I've found joy amid the pain. And, I want to share it with you!

09 February 2013

I'm Old Now


My FAVORITE hat!
My new name.., DeeDee :)
I wear a few hats. One of my favorites is the "hat I wear" of volunteering for my church's Worship Arts ministry. Weekly I try to pull together information about the weekend meetings (Saturdays 6pm & Sundays 9am & 10:45am) to share with those interested. I usually conclude the weekly Worship Arts note with a section that I call "THOUGHTS OF THE DAY." Here's what's been on my mind lately...

I'm old. YES, those are my thoughts of the day... in this moment. I'm a grandmother now, you know :) And, in my thinking of years gone by, being a grandparent was a true marker of being old. Come to think of it, being "old" isn't all bad! One of the best things about being old is that I have experienced God's faithfulness over & over & over again. I've had many opportunities to learn from my mistakes... or those of others around me.

Another thing about my being old is that I have a wonderful heritage in the hymns of the church. In nights when sleep escapes me, I often recall hymns I learned as a child.  One such hymn comes to mind as I face the future of uncertainty...

  1. TRUST & OBEY (written by John H. Sammis in 1887 - a few years before I was born, I'm not THAT old)

  2. When we walk with the Lord in the light of His Word,
    What a glory He sheds on our way!
    While we do His good will, He abides with us still,
    And with all who will trust and obey.
    • Refrain:
      Trust and obey, for there’s no other way
      To be happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey.
  3. Not a shadow can rise, not a cloud in the skies,
    But His smile quickly drives it away;
    Not a doubt or a fear, not a sigh or a tear,
    Can abide while we trust and obey.
  4. Not a burden we bear, not a sorrow we share,
    But our toil He doth richly repay;
    Not a grief or a loss, not a frown or a cross,
    But is blessed if we trust and obey.
  5. But we never can prove the delights of His love
    Until all on the altar we lay;
    For the favor He shows, for the joy He bestows,
    Are for them who will trust and obey.
  6. Then in fellowship sweet we will sit at His feet,
    Or we’ll walk by His side in the way;
    What He says we will do, where He sends we will go;
    Never fear, only trust and obey.

  
The journey I walk today, although bathed in JOY, is still full of some legitimate concerns about the future. But, I am choosing to trust in God & obey His Word.

HIS WORDS:
  • "For the LORD God is our sun and our shield. He gives us grace and glory. The LORD will withhold no good thing from those who do what is right." Psalm 84:11  
  • "Who among you fears the LORD and obeys his servant? If you are walking in darkness, without a ray of light, trust in the LORD and rely on your God." Isaiah 50:10
  • "In the multitude of my anxieties within me, Your comforts delight my soul." Psalm 94:19
(2/16/13 I just realized that I wrote this on my mother's BIRTHDAY, February 9th.)


Linking with Ann Voskamp - A Holy Experience today... 

2 comments:

  1. We are neighbors today over at Ann's farm and I am praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karrilee... thank you for your prayers! Glad to be your neighbor via Ann's farm. What a blessing to take the #JoyDare with Ann & friends!

    ReplyDelete