Just a glimpse of me...

My photo
Do you ever feel STUCK? In 2000, I began looking for answers to some tough questions in my life. I'd searched high & low and finally conceded to search the promises found in the Bible. Those promises have sustained & guided me through the loss of a parent, the struggle with anxiety & depression, the loss of a valued relationship and so much more! I've found joy amid the pain. And, I want to share it with you!

19 November 2012

I'm Powerless

It's 5:44pm in the corn & cow fields of central Indiana... and, our house has been without power since a little before 1pm. The power company said that they don't know why. And, they said, don't be concerned -- the power will be back on by 4pm.

It's almost 2 hours beyond that now and, the sun is setting. My cell phone's dead. My laptop has no wifi and nearly dead. My iPad is without wifi and has 11% battery left. The home phones are useless - because they are powered by electricity. The spaghetti sauce which had begun to cook is cold & ruined now.

I sent a last text to the LOML saying to please come home soon & rescue me. By the light of 3 candles & the last glow of the sun... I'm feeling like I should be in a western. I'm thinking it's about time to "round up the wagons & hunker down waiting for first light!"

One of the last texts I received from the LOML was that the energy company now says we should have power by 8pm. Poor boy down there in Indy... who's he going to talk with on his drive home? I'm sure hoping he stops for food. I'm pretty sure things in the fridge are not good anymore too. Me, I'm listening to the wind through the trees & watching the candles flicker.

In all of this, I am so grateful. I'm in a house that's well built & well insulated. Although we had a freakish snow storm earlier in the day, the afternoon brought clear skies & a warm, bright sun. The last I saw, the air temperature was only in the low 40's. But, the sunlight poured in the windows that line the south side of our home & kept it pretty warm. We have 2 gas fireplaces. So, when the house starts to cool down, I'll be able to warm up by a fire.

There are 1000's still without their homes on the east coast after Sandy hit them almost two weeks ago. Some of those are also mourning the loss of loved ones from that storm. A huge explosion in a suburb of Indy took the lives of 2 last night and totally demolished 5 houses. Over 50 homes were affected enough that the families are out of their houses tonight. Last I heard they didn't know what caused the complete demolition to the ground of 5 houses!

And, here I am... just a hint of light on the western horizon over the newly harvested corn field... wrapped in a warm comforter... and waiting for my love to come home.

I might not have power (here in the house)... but, I am most certainly not powerless!

HIS WORDS:
  • "I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy; nothing will harm you." Luke 10:19 
  • "We also pray that you will be strengthened with all his glorious power so you will have all the endurance and patience you need. May you be filled with joy, always thanking the Father. He has enabled you to share in the inheritance that belongs to his people, who live in the light." Colossians 1:11-12 NLT
  • "A final word: Be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power." Ephesians 6:10 NLT
Linking with Ann Voskamp - A Holy Experience today... 

No comments:

Post a Comment