Just a glimpse of me...

My photo
Do you ever feel STUCK? In 2000, I began looking for answers to some tough questions in my life. I'd searched high & low and finally conceded to search the promises found in the Bible. Those promises have sustained & guided me through the loss of a parent, the struggle with anxiety & depression, the loss of a valued relationship and so much more! I've found joy amid the pain. And, I want to share it with you!

23 October 2012

Crazy Relevancy! - 31 DAYS OF CRAZY - 22 October 2012

oops... forgot to POST this yesterday... sorry

I've been volunteering at my church for over 20 years now.  I began working with the Worship Arts ministry & added the Women's Ministries to my volunteer list a few years back.  As church-goers know, the format of worship is constantly changing - as is the marketing, advertising, service format, etc.  When I was a little girl (in that North Carolina country church), we sang hymns & a few choruses and the children sat with their parents through the entire service.  

Just yesterday on Twitter, a national organization posed the question: 
"Churches are often painfully irrelevant... Your thoughts?"
One of my local acquaintance's replied to the question: 
"People in a church are relevant. The culture within a church can be irrelevant if we can't relate to it. (i.e. choral music)". 
Being that I attend the same church as that person & I sing in the choir (aka choral music), my attention was caught immediately!  And my mind was filled with questions:
  • What makes what we do at church relevant?  
  • What is and isn't worshipful in God's eyes? 
  • Is it dependent upon styles of music? 
  • Have all these things changed for God as our cultures have changed over the centuries? 
The actual word worship means ascribe worth to God -- to show Him through our thoughts & actions that we value Him above everything else. 
  • Is that the same for everyone? 
  • Is there a right or wrong way to worship Him? 
  • Does some one's worship offend God? Does the song sung by a talented vocalist reach the ears & the heart of God better or quicker than that of an aged saint with a wavering voice? 
  • Does God really like those old, slow songs full of "ancient" history or would He prefer a joyous, energy-filled current song? 
  • Is He tired of the choir now? 
  • Does He like the beating of drums & the sound of guitars
  • And, what in the world does He think of those "sacred dancers"
Ballet Magnificat worship with Women of Faith
AND, you have to admit, most church "sacred dancers"
aren't with a national ballet group.
So many questions related to relevancy in what we do!

What makes worship relevant?  As I process numerous thoughts about WORSHIP, I find it hard not to believe that God is blessed by ALL types of worship, when offered up to Him in true sincerity, love & adoration


His Words
(got this idea from Chase Tibbs' blog; using it because i love the words of God)
  • Whatever you do, do well. For when you go to the grave, there will be no work or planning or knowledge or wisdom. Ecclesiastes 9:10 NLT
  • "But the time is coming and is already here when true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and in truth. The Father is looking for anyone who will worship Him that way. For God is Spirit, so those who worship Him must worship in spirit and in truth." John 4:23&24 NLT
  • "And whatever you do or say, do it as a representative of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through him to God the Father." Colossians 3:17 NLT

Go check out over 1200 topics
in the 31 days {of change} with...

No comments:

Post a Comment