Just a glimpse of me...

My photo
Do you ever feel STUCK? In 2000, I began looking for answers to some tough questions in my life. I'd searched high & low and finally conceded to search the promises found in the Bible. Those promises have sustained & guided me through the loss of a parent, the struggle with anxiety & depression, the loss of a valued relationship and so much more! I've found joy amid the pain. And, I want to share it with you!

22 April 2012

Second Fiddle

Does anyone out there feel like they are always playing second fiddle? That's a saying I heard from my grandmother when I was tiny & complaining that my big sister always got to do everything first. I wanted to be the one to be recognized for accomplishments.  I wanted to be the one called upon to help in the kitchen. I wanted to feel that my contributions were valuable. I wanted to be in the spotlight. It was all about what I wanted

It's easy to continue with that unhealthy emphasis on ME as an adult.  I want to be recognized & valued.  I often fail to remember that my worth is in my willingness to serve - not the end result.  Apparently, this is an age-old struggle.  In 2 Chronicles 6:8, 9 it reads, 


"But the LORD told him, ‘You wanted to build the Temple to honor my name. Your intention is good, but you are not the one to do it. One of your own sons will build the Temple to honor me.’" NLT

Sometimes it's hard not to scream out, "Why Not Me!?!"  I never played an instrument in a band. But, what about those students who work hard & practice a lot but don't sit at first chair?  And, what about those voices in a choir who are never asked to sing solos but faithfully attend rehearsals & performances?  Sometimes our intentions are good but, we are not the one to complete a specific task & be in the spotlight.  The Bible says that God looks at the heart.  Our heart needs to be in the right place.  
Dear God,  
Please help me to play second fiddle to the best of my ability with every fiber of my being - knowing that You are pleased with my gift to you.  And, remind me that there are NO seconds in your eyes.



(begun w/idea while reading the Bible on 2/22/12)

No comments:

Post a Comment