Just a glimpse of me...

My photo
Do you ever feel STUCK? In 2000, I began looking for answers to some tough questions in my life. I'd searched high & low and finally conceded to search the promises found in the Bible. Those promises have sustained & guided me through the loss of a parent, the struggle with anxiety & depression, the loss of a valued relationship and so much more! I've found joy amid the pain. And, I want to share it with you!

15 December 2011

Re-Entry... Can Be Rough At Times!

I am SO grateful that I had a WONDERFUL opportunity recently to get away from day-to-day life with my hubby of 20+ years. I call any time away with him "Couples Therapy." I'm a firm believer in remaining friends with your spouse -- after all, I married HIM - not my kids or the house or a job. This last get-away was a BIG one... an 8-day Eastern Caribbean cruise to St. Maarten, St. Lucia & St. Kitts.  We went with 2 other couples with whom we've traveled before & totally enjoy being around. 


Leaving a home, a very demanding pet, two children (albeit they are each over 18), volunteer responsibilities, and more can be daunting.  But, it's a very necessary thing to do for my marriage.  We were blessed to find a very reasonably priced cruise & glad to spend time with dear friends again!  Thankfully we didn't receive any "emergency calls" while at sea!  However, we did get one from one of our children about 15 minutes after getting in port.  My hubby got to hear the words, "Dad. I'm okay but... I just wrecked the car & have no insurance information with me to give the police."  It turned out alright in the end but, a bit frustrating over all.

Re-Entry Can Be Rough At Times
My entry to real-life in the house was a bit strange too.  I hit the ground running the morning after I arrived home... unpacking, laundry, folding, putting things away, etc., etc., etc.  However, I was very distracted & failed to turn the gas burner OFF when I was boiling eggs.  Little did I know that eggs explode when they get too hot.  Once again thankful that it wasn't worse (like involving a fire - not just the smoke alarms).  The smoking pan & its contents were placed outside to soak overnight in the rain.  The local raccoons ate up everything but the shells.  The pan well... it was another story!



Hard work often brings forth GREAT results!
In my mind, I had two options:
1.) Throw away my nice Farberware pan I'd received in a set for a wedding present or...
2.) Put in some time & elbow grease and scrub the pan clean. 
Being my mother's daughter, I chose option two.  And, let me tell you, it too a lot of time & a lot of elbow grease before I was done! 

If you know me at all, you know that there is little to nothing that happens in my life that isn't examined for a "spiritual lesson".   This incident gave me many thoughts...

* When we get distracted, we often miss the important things - from God & from people - around us.

* God scrubs us clean when we mess things up. Sometimes we have to work hard to keep the things we love in ship shape (I just threw that term in 'cause of the recent cruise). Hard work is worthwhile.

* Getting away for a season is fine but, we all need to return to real life to do what God has planned for us to do - like it tells us in Ephesians 2:10. "For we are God's masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so that we can do the good things he planned for us long ago."


I'm thankful that I took a vacation from "real-life responsibilities" for a short time but, didn't take a vacation from my relationship with God.  No matter where I go, I always want Him there!

Be blessed... and beware of "Re-Entry Challenges!"  Thankfully I had a successful attempt at "dinner" the following night :D

Steamed green beans, mashed potatoes & Mediterranean Chicken :)

 Written 12/15/11
    

No comments:

Post a Comment