Just a glimpse of me...

My photo
Do you ever feel STUCK? In 2000, I began looking for answers to some tough questions in my life. I'd searched high & low and finally conceded to search the promises found in the Bible. Those promises have sustained & guided me through the loss of a parent, the struggle with anxiety & depression, the loss of a valued relationship and so much more! I've found joy amid the pain. And, I want to share it with you!

05 November 2009

Open Mouth... Insert Foot


Photo by T. Getz... Thoughts below by me :)


I've been thinking about two concepts from scripture today (due largely to 2-3 things that happened). The two concepts are "having God watch over my mouth" before the words even come out and "speaking the truth in love". When I find myself approaching a situation wondering if/what to say or not say, I almost always whisper Psalm 141:3, "Set a guard, O Lord, over my mouth; keep watch over the door of my lips." I found that scripture several years ago & have relied upon it so many times. My mind goes to the phrase, speaking the truth in love, which is found nestled in Ephesians 4:11-15, "It was He who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers, to prepare God’s people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ. Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of men in their deceitful scheming. Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will in all things grow up into him who is the Head, that is, Christ." Do I always succeed in combining the two? NO.  But, by getting in the habit of whispering the Psalm 141:3 prayer, it's become much better than it used to be. And, by measuring my actions in light of building UP Christ's body (the church), I find help in my decision making.

May we be open to God's direction moment by moment of each day, so that the body of Christ may be built up - not damaged - through our words, actions & thoughts.

(written 31 Oct 2009)

No comments:

Post a Comment