Just a glimpse of me...

My photo
Do you ever feel STUCK? In 2000, I began looking for answers to some tough questions in my life. I'd searched high & low and finally conceded to search the promises found in the Bible. Those promises have sustained & guided me through the loss of a parent, the struggle with anxiety & depression, the loss of a valued relationship and so much more! I've found joy amid the pain. And, I want to share it with you!

19 April 2012

Attitude Equals Altitude...

photo courtesy of T. Getz
Today a friend posted the following statement: "I am working on FAMILY curricula about attitude - Why does attitude equal altitude? Thoughts?"

Well... just yesterday at a wellness activity that's sponsored through my local church, we were talking about attitude equaling altitude. What we're going through in life is much less important than how we're looking at what we're going through.   

The first step of being defeated is allowing yourself to FEEL defeated. A positive attitude can make all the difference in how you feel about anything that you endure.

At this time in my life, it's nearly impossible for me to look at these things from any other perspective than that of a Christ-follower. I believe that Jesus is the Son of God & that He came to earth and paid for my sins (for all of His children's sins) with the shedding of His blood. I believe in the promises found in the Bible and, I CLAIM those, even when it feels impossible. Some of those promises are:
  • "My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand." John 10:27-28
  • "The eyes of the Lord run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show Himself strong on behalf of those whose heart is loyal to Him." II Chronicles 16:9
  • "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness. Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong." II Corinthians 12:9-10
  • "Our God whom we serve is able to deliver us, and He will deliver us." Daniel 3:17
  • " I have chosen you and have not rejected you. So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with My righteous right hand... For I am the Lord, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you." Isaiah 41:9-10, 13
I could go on & on citing promises that are found in the Word. But, I also recall attitude equaling altitude before I came to know Jesus as my Savior & Lord. I remember as a child when I was made fun of for being super skinny & gangly that it was always easier if I "made light" of it instead of taking it personally. When I refused to let hurtful words or ways become a part of me, I was stronger... happier... healthier. I was always better off when I did not let the circumstances of life determine my attitude toward life.

There's a passage in the New Testament of the Bible that's always reminded me to "look at my attitude" in tough situations. It reminds me that the hard times make us stronger and better equipped to endure other tough times that are SURE to happen to us, as well as better equipped to help others face similar hardships. That scripture passage is located in  


"Dear brothers and sisters, whenever trouble comes your way, let it be an opportunity for joy. For when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be strong in character and ready for anything."

Thanks friend for getting me thinking today about Attitude Equaling Altitude!


No comments:

Post a Comment