Just a glimpse of me...

My photo
Do you ever feel STUCK? In 2000, I began looking for answers to some tough questions in my life. I'd searched high & low and finally conceded to search the promises found in the Bible. Those promises have sustained & guided me through the loss of a parent, the struggle with anxiety & depression, the loss of a valued relationship and so much more! I've found joy amid the pain. And, I want to share it with you!

05 March 2009

Not a Fan of Choral Music...

 
Not a fan of choral music... WHAT? Could I truthfully say that? I 'm a long time member of the choir in my church. If I had to list my favorite songs, the list begin with (and consist mainly of) songs that are recorded by specific artists. There are several choral selections that I love but, the majority of the time, I listen to songs by an artist or a small group. I'm not a fan of country music either. I've heard several pieces that were okay to me; however, I can honestly say that I am not a fan of country music. I don't really like hard rock & roll either - aside from the classic rock. WOW, I'm just a picky, stick-in-the-mud music snob.


Well, if I'm not this huge fan of choral music, why do I continue to participate in our church choir? Well, I participate in our church choir because of community... because of accountability... because of support. The choir & Worship Arts ministry at my church is my small group-my family, so to speak. I have friends there who help me to grow in Christ. They ask me the "hard questions". They open their lives to me and give me the strength to make my life more open. They share their struggles & their triumphs. I am challenged to be a better person & a better Christian by those sitting around me AND by the leader of our group, our Pastor of Worship Arts, the director of our choir.

In choral music, you might have a small part for a soloist but, the blend of the voices is what makes the best sound for a choir. We've all been out there & heard one voice sticking out. Sometimes that's an okay thing. But, most times it's not good. You expect a choir to BLEND. When I sing in the choir I am not the soloist! I take direction from the DIRECTOR and allow him to determine what sounds best for the group. In God's kingdome, I'm not the soloist. I must take direction from GOD - often speaking through the leaders & always speaking through the Bible.


photo courtesy of Tom Getz
Do I see the current validity in the use of choral music in the church? I would have to say yes. The lessons to be learned through participating in a choir are great lessons to learn for our relationships with others -- in and out of the church setting. The lessons to be learned from observing & listening to a choral presentation are valuable. We lift Him up so that He is the one seen. There's not really a lot of room for big egos in a choir. It occurs to me that there's not all that much room for big egos in God's church either.

Oh well, those are my "off-the-cuff" thoughts today! Be Blessed... and BE A BLESSING!

Scripture of the Day: Colossians 3:16 says... "Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God."

No comments:

Post a Comment