Just a glimpse of me...

My photo
Do you ever feel STUCK? In 2000, I began looking for answers to some tough questions in my life. I'd searched high & low and finally conceded to search the promises found in the Bible. Those promises have sustained & guided me through the loss of a parent, the struggle with anxiety & depression, the loss of a valued relationship and so much more! I've found joy amid the pain. And, I want to share it with you!

27 October 2014

A Woman's Most Perfect Curve

It's been said that when you're comfortable in your own skin, you're at home anywhere. I can't really say I've ever been super comfortable in my skin. When I was in grade school, I was grossly thin -- the kind of thin that other kids used for jokes on the playground. To make matters worse, in junior high, I grew several inches & looked a bit like the TV character LURCH on the Adam's Family. In high school, skinny wasn't as much an issue as the fact that my body... well, my body... didn't look very mature. I was told in front of the entire youth group at church (my peers) that I still looked like a 6th or 7th grader. High school moved into college years & the curves I had desired were skipped!. What I got were the "ugly curves" associated with that awful term know as "the College Freshman Forty."


From a very young age, I'd been told by my parents that I was beautiful. They said, "Real beauty comes from within." AND "You are beautiful inside & out." I believed it for awhile. But, then I got wise to the world around me. Models, magazines & movie stars reinforced the fact that I was not beautiful. And, I continued comparing my curves to the curves of the girls I saw around me or those on the pages of a magazines or the girls on the big screen.  

Recently I read a wonderful post by Ann Voskamp which addressed a woman's issues of self-image and the attributes of beauty. One of her quotes touched a deep chord in my heart & I wished I'd seen it as a young girl. How it reminded me of what it took me too long to learn...
"The curve of a smile is a woman's most perfect curve." ~ Ann Voskamp
I truly believe those words. I hope to share that thought with any women (young & not-so-young) who walk through my life. I laugh & smile a lot... therefore, I have some pretty perfect curves :)

SMILE! Happy looks good on you!!



Linked with the Nesting Place community through the write31days challenge, October 2014 - post No 27. 

No comments:

Post a Comment