Just a glimpse of me...

My photo
Do you ever feel STUCK? In 2000, I began looking for answers to some tough questions in my life. I'd searched high & low and finally conceded to search the promises found in the Bible. Those promises have sustained & guided me through the loss of a parent, the struggle with anxiety & depression, the loss of a valued relationship and so much more! I've found joy amid the pain. And, I want to share it with you!

15 May 2014

You're Not the Boss of Me!

I kept a journal when the kids were young - mainly at the suggestion of Chris - my accountability partner then and life-long BFF now! At the prompting of the Holy Spirit when I was praying back then, I asked her & another friend to meet with me weekly as accountability partners. My youngest was 3 years old. I'd share a "mommy story" each week. Chris would tell me that I needed to write them down in a journal. So, I did. Eighteen years later, I continue to thank her for suggesting that to me!!

Here's a favorite story from that journal...

When our son was 3 and our daughter was 5, they were sitting beside each other one morning at the kitchen pass-through counter eating breakfast. Our daughter made a "suggestion" about how our 3-year old son should do something, He immediately & emphatically replied:

"I don't have to! You are NOT the boss of me!"
Amused at his reply, I asked him who WAS the boss of himHis reply: "Well, of course, you are Mommy!"

I then asked who the boss of his sister was. His reply: "You are."
I decided to test my luck & asked "who's the boss of Daddy"? There was a pause, as he thought about the question. Then his reply: "You are! (pause) You are the boss of everyone -- except the Cates family! (our neighbors to the west).

Whenever I hear or say the words, "You're not the boss of me!" my mind goes back that day with my young children. The words of my adorable 3 year old boy replay in my head & a smile breaks forth on my face.  And, I am reminded that... it's all a matter of perspective!
Screen shot of what I messaged to my sister
when she suggested that I
make lemonade out of the lemons
in my life right now :)

For me, if I could choose anyone or anything to BE THE BOSS OF ME, it would be God's Holy Spirit! I would surrender to the Holy Spirit's authority & thereby be set free to live an abundant life!
"So I say, let the Holy Spirit guide your lives. Then you won’t be doing what your sinful nature craves. The sinful nature wants to do evil, which is just the opposite of what the Spirit wants. And the Spirit gives us desires that are the opposite of what the sinful nature desires. These two forces are constantly fighting each other, so you are not free to carry out your good intentions. Let us follow the Spirit’s leading in every part of our lives." Galatians 5:16-17 & 25b
Linking with Ann Voskamp - A Holy Experience today... 






No comments:

Post a Comment