Just a glimpse of me...

My photo
Do you ever feel STUCK? In 2000, I began looking for answers to some tough questions in my life. I'd searched high & low and finally conceded to search the promises found in the Bible. Those promises have sustained & guided me through the loss of a parent, the struggle with anxiety & depression, the loss of a valued relationship and so much more! I've found joy amid the pain. And, I want to share it with you!

01 September 2012

Fixin' Dinner for the Enemy

This morning a "Twitter friend," Priscilla Fowler, tweeted a scripture...  no comment... just the Word of God...



"If your enemies are hungry, give them food to eat.

If they are thirsty, give them water to drink."

Over the years that scripture has always gotten me... in numerous ways. I immediately "RT'd" in the following way:

RT @PriscillaFowler If your enemy's hungry, give him food to eat; if he's thirsty, give him water to drink.Prov25:21 // Planning a dinner now!





I'm not a fan of the word "enemy" - since in my view it insinuates that I have declared war on another person.  I may loathe things that other people do.  But, I am committed NOT to hate the person - just their choices and/or actions.  And, I have had my fair share of people in my life who, in certain seasons, have made it their business to make life difficult for me. Perhaps they consider themselves an enemy of mine?

My personal paraphrase of that scripture (the world according to stuckinindiana) would be:


"If the people who drive you crazy & are hateful to you

are hungry, give them food to eat.

If they are thirsty, give them water to drink."


This doesn't mean that I have to enable their questionable choices or behavior.  It doesn't mean that I have to agree with their choices, views, etc.  But, it does mean that, if I have the opportunity to provide for their basic needs - food & drink, I should not shy away from helping them. God provides for each of us EVERYTHING we need. Individually, we can be a part of providing for God's children or turn away.

So, tonight, I'm making a list of potential future dinner guests.

And you?


About Priscilla Fowler's work... Blissful Wife Ministries is a Christian community of women looking to reclaim bliss in their marriages. Find Priscilla on Facebook and at her website too! 

2 comments:

  1. This totally reminds me of a Holiday dinner that I hosted this year. I thought about it after I got your tweet!

    I find that the more love and kindness that you show to your enemies, the more God works. He's just amazing that way!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with that Priscilla! It's not always easy or what you'd prefer to do... but, it's always followed by blessing after blessing :)

    ReplyDelete