Just a glimpse of me...

My photo
Do you ever feel STUCK? In 2000, I began looking for answers to some tough questions in my life. I'd searched high & low and finally conceded to search the promises found in the Bible. Those promises have sustained & guided me through the loss of a parent, the struggle with anxiety & depression, the loss of a valued relationship and so much more! I've found joy amid the pain. And, I want to share it with you!

30 March 2012

Another's Treasure

5:47am seems like a good time to begin a blog post after having spent 20 minutes out in the cold rain BEHIND the porch swing on the patio rescuing plants... not my own plants... but someone else's plants... someone who's not around to help. 

What's that scripture?  "Greater love has no MOM than to climb behind a porch swing in the 40 degree rain to rescue potted plants of a loved one nowhere to be found..." 

I admit, I really love plants.  However, I'm not a fan of giving them extra-special care.  I don't DO "high maintenance potted plants."  I do the kind that can either survive outside pretty much on their own or the kind that you can water once or twice a week & throw some extra fertilizer in twice a year. I love fresh garden vegetables but, I loathe gardening. When God provided me with 3 "volunteer" tomato plants (coming up on their own each summer) at our country home, I was thrilled.  That's about the extent of my "gardening". 

I tried to ignore the little voice inside me that in the darkness of the early morning said: "That cold soft rain is going to wash those new plants right out of their new homes."  I tried to forget the words of the one who planted them: "Those pieces of pottery don't have holes in the bottom. So we'll have to spray them with water - not pour water in them."  But alas, at 5:15am my heart couldn't stop hearing the words of the one I love.  And, at 5:16am, I donned a pair of sweats & a rain jacket to climb behind the porch swing in the far corner of the patio and crouch down to rescue another's treasure...

What kind of sacrifice was it really... in light of the words spoken by Jesus in John 15:12 (NKJV)  - those were words of TRUE love... "Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends." That is REAL love - much more than just getting wet in a cool rain & to return to the comfort of a a warm home and write about the harrowing experience.

He told us how to love... "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." 

And, He let us know what we would experience when we unselfishly gave love... "These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may remain in you, and that your joy may be full."   

I'm cold, I'm wet... but, I am full of joy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment