Just a glimpse of me...

My photo
Do you ever feel STUCK? In 2000, I began looking for answers to some tough questions in my life. I'd searched high & low and finally conceded to search the promises found in the Bible. Those promises have sustained & guided me through the loss of a parent, the struggle with anxiety & depression, the loss of a valued relationship and so much more! I've found joy amid the pain. And, I want to share it with you!

28 February 2012

Black Bean Combo & Being Complete

And, how would one segue from black beans to being complete in God...

I recently learned that one of my Facebook friends loves black beans -- just like me :) When I was a struggling single person living from check to check, I "invented" a favorite meal that costs pennies to make. I loved it & continued serving it beyond those single person days.  Over the years, the kids & I gave it a few names - Fiesta Meal, Black Bean Fiesta & the one that stuck, Black Bean Combo. It continues to be a family favorite. Here's the way I make it...
Black Bean Combo

BLACK BEAN COMBO
  1. Prepare some rice (we use Basmati Rice most of the time but, saffron rice is yummy & Minute Rice works fine too).
  2. Warm up a can of low sodium black beans (or make them the old fashioned way).
  3. Cut up some fresh tomatoes (if you are desperate, open a can of cubed tomatoes)
  4. Grate some cheese (any kind works; cheddar is our favorite)
  5. When everything is done, the BEST way to serve it is in a clear, glass bowl... LAYERED...

I usually put the rice in first; then put the cheese ('cause it melts on the hot rice); then put the tomatoes (they're cold); then pour a couple of scoops of black beans & juice on top. It all melts together & is WONDERFUL!!!

Not everyone knows this but, when people eat rice & beans together, it combines in the body to make a complete protein Third world civilizations have lived on that "complete protein" for ages! Kinda cool how God made that happen :)
 

If you know me, you know that almost everything reminds me of a lesson from God's Word. Since I'm FAR FROM perfect and incredibly flawed, one of my favorite scriptures is when Paul tells of Jesus speaking with him... 

"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." and Paul responded, "Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me." 

Black Bean Combo is similar to what is offered to us by God. Did you know that?!?!?! We thankfully give Him all the imperfections in us AND God's promise from Colossians 2:10a "... and we are complete through our union with Christ" is fulfilled in our lives! 

I'm giving thanks in ALL of what is happening around me... knowing that God will complete it!

No comments:

Post a Comment