Just a glimpse of me...

My photo
Do you ever feel STUCK? In 2000, I began looking for answers to some tough questions in my life. I'd searched high & low and finally conceded to search the promises found in the Bible. Those promises have sustained & guided me through the loss of a parent, the struggle with anxiety & depression, the loss of a valued relationship and so much more! I've found joy amid the pain. And, I want to share it with you!

29 November 2017

The Struggle I'm Grateful for ... Depression & Anxiety

Yes... you read that title right... I am grateful for depression and anxiety. 

This is our 4th year over on the When You're STUCKinIndiana Facebook page to participate in making one gratefulness post a day in November. I've tried to be very thoughtful with my answers for each day. If you want to see the daily posts, look over on Facebook on the stuckinindiana page & look at the photo album entitled, November 2017 #ourthankful30. The question posed for November 27th caused me to pause and think...

What struggle am I grateful for?

There have been many
... the insecurity of my youth... the shame of choices made as a young adult... relationship challenges... financial hardships... the passing of a parent... the unexpected & unwanted end of a cherished friendship... the feeling of helplessness after choices of a loved one... fearing for our lives... sharing a home with an adult child... sharing the home with a grandchild (ha ha!)... dealing with custody & support issues... living away from the spouse... living in 2 different states... and more...

Through all of that...  since my adolescence, I've had 2 companions. They have been with me through all of it. And, those 2 companions have made me stronger!


My depression is not one of those "I want to kill myself" depressions. It's more like an "I am not enough" depression. My anxiety is the sense that most everyday tasks are too much for me -- that I am not equipped to handle the normal demands of everyday life that others are equipped to handle.

BUT YET... as I have danced with these two companions, I've become stronger & a better person, I think. I've embraced the moments of seclusion and allowed myself rest and be renewed. I've accepted the fact that I can't be the "fun friend" all the time... but, I can be a faithful friend. I've learned that I don't have to POSSESS the strength or ability to do it all. I just need to accomplish what God needs me to accomplish. And, I believe that God is miraculous and able to do anything through me -- even in my weakest states.  

So... what struggle am I truly grateful for? I am truly grateful for the struggle which might accompany me my entire earthly life -- that of depression & anxiety. Because, I truly believe that through God... it will accomplish much!

'Each time he said, “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me. ' 2 Corinthians 12:9 NLT

Jennifer Dukes Lee's challenge gives a specific question for each day of November. (See them below)
1. What unexpected blessing are you grateful for?
2. What friend are you grateful for?
3. What childhood lesson are you grateful for?
4. What . attribute of God are you grateful for?
5. What family member are you grateful for?
6. What provision are you grateful for?
7. What song are you grateful for?
8. What tradition are you grateful for?
9. What book are you grateful for?
10. What memory are you grateful for?
11. What talent are you grateful for?
12. What Bible lesson are you grateful for?
13. What technology are you grateful for?
14, What mission or charity are you grateful for?
15. What silly moment are you grateful for?
16. What surprise are you grateful for?
17. What view are you grateful for?
18. What kindness are you grateful for?
19. What product are you grateful for?
20. What teacher are you grateful for?
21. What room are you grateful for?
22. What Bible character are you grateful for?
23. What hour of the day are you grateful for?
24. What household task are you grateful for?
25. What happened today that you are grateful for?
26. What ordinary object are you grateful for?
27. What struggle are you grateful for?
28. What change are you grateful for?
29. What story are you grateful for?
30. What promise are you grateful for?








2 comments:

  1. I've enjoyed this exercise of "gratefuls" it has made me stop and think. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can say the same--I am thankful for the struggle of this chronic illness because it has made me lean harder on Jesus, and see how truly HE is sufficient for me! Thank you for sharing these open-hearted words! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete