Just a glimpse of me...

My photo
Do you ever feel STUCK? In 2000, I began looking for answers to some tough questions in my life. I'd searched high & low and finally conceded to search the promises found in the Bible. Those promises have sustained & guided me through the loss of a parent, the struggle with anxiety & depression, the loss of a valued relationship and so much more! I've found joy amid the pain. And, I want to share it with you!

12 January 2012

I long to accomplish a great and noble task...


"I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but it's my chief duty to accomplish small tasks as if they were great and noble."
Helen Keller

Wow!  I mean, WOW!  I totally relate to that quote!  I grew up with a very poor self-image.  It's been something with which I've struggled for my entire life.  The skinny, gangly young girl has become the middle-aged not-so-fit woman.  The young child who heard over & over from a loved one that no one would ever like her if they really knew her has truly found complete acceptance & love from the One who created the universe... and LIFE!  The over-achiever compensating for feelings of insufficiency has mellowed over the years - but, still rears it's ugly head from time to time. I had the same dreams of almost every young girl - to become someone important, someone of influence. 

What my head knows & what my heart knows still continues to be compromised by the thoughts & feelings of "what if..." 

What if I'd become famous? Would I have made a more profound affect on this earth's inhabitants?  Would I have been able to bring more to the knowlege of Christ? 
What if I'd been wealthy? Would that have made it easier for me to spread God's news or would I have "sold my soul" for the comforts & influential friends of the rich?
What if I'd been incredibly smart or creative?  Would I have found a way to create something that would share the truth of God with more people?

Life is full of questions. 

This is a great reminder to me of where my value lies.
Life isn't always full of all the answers. 

But, I've learned, in the struggle, that some day all things will be brought to light. I have learned that in the struggle one becomes stronger. I have learned that what God gave me is enough to do what He needs me to do.  No one is equipped better than ME to do what only I can do for Him.

I am encouraged by the feelings in my heart, by the words in the Bible, by the small, still voice within my soul...

... that it's my chief duty to accomplish small tasks as if they were great and noble.

(written 1/12/12)

No comments:

Post a Comment