Just a glimpse of me...

My photo
Do you ever feel STUCK? In 2000, I began looking for answers to some tough questions in my life. I'd searched high & low and finally conceded to search the promises found in the Bible. Those promises have sustained & guided me through the loss of a parent, the struggle with anxiety & depression, the loss of a valued relationship and so much more! I've found joy amid the pain. And, I want to share it with you!

16 December 2016

Just One of Those Days

Yesterday was... one of those days! It was a day I'd love to forget. It was a day that I never want to forget. And hence... this post.

The day began with a wonderful wiggly wake-up from the Little around 6am. That is one of the best ways to start out any day. The joy of young children is contagious! We had a bit of fun when we got the day mixed up & sent her to school in her jammies for Pajama Day -- which is actually today!! Thankfully the school provided her with a long top to go over her tights and the pajamas were sent home. The Little's Mommy made it to work safely - which is always a blessing. My loved ones driving in snowy, cold conditions isn't my favorite scenario.

The sky was clear & blue as the sun rose over the barren field adjacent to our yard. It was a beautiful sunrise. But, the temps were horrendous. At 8am the air temp was 3 degrees and the windchill was -15! Our seven chickens refused to leave their coop area in the corner of the barn. It was a toasty 14 degrees in there.

The chickens gobbled up the warm oatmeal mix I served them and then made a big chicken pile - cooing, fluffing their feathers and grooming one another. Three warm eggs were waiting for me in the laying boxes. Our new girls are less than a year old & laying every day so far. The older 4 each take about every other day off. 

When I returned inside from the barn, the madness began... as I rushed around getting things in order to head out for the 5+ hour drive to our Kentucky home for the LOML's Christmas party with the Prez and First Lady of the university. One of the projects that had to be completed before leaving turned into a huge challenge - involving a technology glitch and me possibly telling the LOML that I hated him. (Note to self: Even if there's a fine line between love and hate, some things should just STAY in your head!!!) I made it out the door over an hour behind schedule.

The first 4 hours of the drive went well with me singing along to SiriusXM The Message and the Carpenter's Christmas Album. The temps were low but, the roads were clear and dry. On a side note... people heading east from Lexington on the Mountain Parkway drive REALLY fast!!


An hour down the road, the car traveling in front of me hit a pothole that I wasn't able to avoid. I hit hard - jarring my teeth. And, Mini Coopers with racing, run-flat tires don't handle potholes and bumps well. Immediately the alarms went off that the front right tire needed to be checked. I rounded a corner and pulled into a crowded gas station. Gas stations are few and far between on the Parkway. (Thanks God for the placement of that pothole.) I maneuvered my little car between all the trucks pulling giant horse trailers and was greeted by a sea of men in uniforms -- Carhartts for some & police uniforms for others. They checked my tire & put air in it & I was on my way. Their posse was transporting elk from Kentucky to West Virginia to introduce them to a new habitat. AND, the caravan of trucks, trailers & cars were about ready to head out. They said they would look out for me as they traveled east -- in case I had any issues with the flat run-flat tire.

I was grateful to get back on the road until about 15 miles down the road when a semi decided to disregard his red light causing me to careen over to the opposite side of the 4-lane road toward oncoming traffic. I swerved back to my side of the road right in time to just miss colliding with a concrete barrier just beyond the intersection that separated the 4 lanes. 

I arrived to the holiday party well over an hour late and visibly shaken. The home was decorated beautifully & the conversation and laughter were genuine and healing. My mind & mood were quickly won over by the love & friendship of my new Kentucky family. What a blessing to have great people to share the journey of life. 

I've been thinking about how close I came to not being there that night or possibly ever again. But, I am so grateful that God protected me and provided for me from the moment I awoke until the moment I rested my head on the pillow. Some days are just too full to believe. And, this was a day that gave me a run for my money (as my mom says). 

My day was FULL of reminders to cherish the moments we have here on earth. And I thought a lot about how glad I am that I know where I'm going when this life is over! Because in the blink of an eye... everything can change!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness. Quite a day girlfriend. Glad our IRL meetup didn't get cancelled!

    ReplyDelete