Just a glimpse of me...

My photo
Do you ever feel STUCK? In 2000, I began looking for answers to some tough questions in my life. I'd searched high & low and finally conceded to search the promises found in the Bible. Those promises have sustained & guided me through the loss of a parent, the struggle with anxiety & depression, the loss of a valued relationship and so much more! I've found joy amid the pain. And, I want to share it with you!

01 April 2014

The Ugly Beautiful - Not Always About Me - #JoyDare No. 2366

#JoyDare No. 2366. the ugly beautiful - it's not always about me!
The Bible says, "in everything give thanks." Sometimes the toughest times & most horrendous situations bring about changes in us that would happen no other way OR bring us closer to those around us OR bring us closer to God. It's not being thankful FOR these things (in & of themselves) as much as acknowledging that good can come from everything if we are open to it.



NOTE: Due to a small book club group for women started in 2012 by a friend at my church, I actually picked up & read Ann Voskamp's book, One Thousand Gifts, in early 2012. I began listing gifts then & am planning to continue for years to come. It's a WONDERFUL way to remind myself of God's tender loving care for & faithfulness to me -- and to all his children! I've always been one to get super excited about the little things from God - seeing a mother deer & her fawns while out walking early in the morning, the way the clouds look on a cold -- but sunny -- winter day, the lighting or angle I was able to catch in a photo, the quiet snoring/breathing of the LOML as he sleeps beside me, new fuzzy socks or slippers, an apple right off my tree, etc. Often times my descriptions make no sense to anyone by me & God. So, I decided to expand upon those thoughts in a few posts. So... for today... 

... I'm thankful for the ugly beautiful - the things which are not at all attractive in my life but bring me closer to God. That thanksgiving doesn't usually come easily. In those moments I want to say to God, "I'm pretty sure you could have brought about Your plan in a better way!"

I'm facing a struggle that puts me in a position where I need to daily remind myself that I am to be Christ-like to claim the name of Christian. I would rather that area of my life was "pretty" but, it's rarely attractive or easy or enjoyable. I have to keep reminding myself... this is not ONLY about me! God is working for the good of all... for the perfect fulfillment of His plan.

I'm thankful for the many reminders of how beautiful things come from ugly things in the world around us and in God's Word...
  • new growth after land is devastated by a fire or a volcano
  • joy in the morning after weeping through the night
  • flowers that rest in bulbs through the cold, hard winter and burst forth in beauty in the spring
  • a crown of beauty for ashes for those who mourn
  • winter wheat which is planted in the fall, becomes dormant in the winter & then decorates the fields in spring & summer
  • the death of our bodies to everlasting life
Today... I am thankful for the ugly beautiful - the things which are not at all attractive in my life but bring me closer to God & have the potential to bring others closer to God.

The Ugly Beautiful is Not Always About Me - #JoyDare No. 2366

Linking with Ann Voskamp - A Holy Experience today... 


No comments:

Post a Comment